Dumb Question about driving 2 headphones with 1 amp.
Nov 5, 2008 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
well my 2nd pair of AD2000s are coming next week, and I plan to use a splitter between the two to amp them both (as they are identical cans). Would this work? Any degradation in SQ?

I couldn't find any answers to this one, so I decided to ask.

help!!

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 19
no I mean, why do they need to run together at once?

just a random thought, iirc the Keces has a headphone out, why not drive one via that, and one via the gilmore? you can't possibly be listening to both at once, and if you're sharing with someone, unless they sound like complete garbage on the keces, shouldn't be a problem

personally I wouldn't run two pairs of 'phones on my amp, or any amp that isn't spec'd to do it, although I'm sure someone will come along and explain the EE concepts underlying here, and why it should (or shouldn't) work

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 19
apparently, when my gf wants to listen at the same time.

I am waiting for those EE concepts basically.

I know it shouldn't work, but I'm not sure why it shouldn't work. I would love to know.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #7 of 19
Have you ever tried it EnOYIN? I don't mean it in a smart-ass kind of way. I'm serious, have you ever tried it? It's kinda fun sitting down in a room with your woman and just enjoying some music together with headphones. You KNOW she's listening cause... well, she has headphones on like you. It's fun. Try it.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive my ignorance, but aren't speakers a better idea for something like this?

yes, yes it would be
wink.gif

just for more background info: I had one pair of AD2K for a while, coupled to GLite + DPS, and there is second set arriving next week, in which I would use in my office from December, when I do get my own office.

So since I find my gf hogging my AD2K a lot these days, I was wondering if I can utilize the splitter that's been lying around for months + Glite amp + and 2 of AD2000s for short term.

I kind of know that it shouldn't work, but I'm not entirely clear on the reason why it wouldn't work. (if that make sense) So I was hoping someone to answer 1) if it is possible 2) if it doesn't, why it wouldn't work.

I haven't taken physics for well, since grade 11, so I have no idea
wink.gif

thanks for your inputs!

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioqueso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever tried it EnOYIN? I don't mean it in a smart-ass kind of way. I'm serious, have you ever tried it? It's kinda fun sitting down in a room with your woman and just enjoying some music together with headphones. You KNOW she's listening cause... well, she has headphones on like you. It's fun. Try it.

I would change the word "woman" to "one who must be obeyed" but yeah, that's the idea. Since we have similar music tastes anyways.

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioqueso /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Too ugly for the woman part I'm afraid...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kind of know that it shouldn't work, but I'm not entirely clear on the reason why it wouldn't work. (if that make sense) So I was hoping someone to answer 1) if it is possible 2) if it doesn't, why it wouldn't work.

It can work just fine for as far as I know. I've used RCA splitters before and I don't see how this would be any different. You'll just end up with less volume than you would have when you are connecting just one headphone.

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can work just fine for as far as I know. I've used RCA splitters before and I don't see how this would be any different. You'll just end up with less volume than you would have when you are connecting just one headphone.

Ahh so it would just double the resistance (I'm probably wrong, and using grade 11 physics from vague memory here) and it would count as being connected serially? (this is as far as my knowledge about circuits go)

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh so it would just double the resistance (I'm probably wrong, and using grade 11 physics from vague memory here) and it would count as being connected serially? (this is as far as my knowledge about circuits go)

Well, I'm not completely sure how it exactly works, so I'll wait until someone comes along who does know about such things. I'm sure it has something to do with increasing resistance.

My idea is that Grado wouldn't make a splitter if it simply wouldn't work. Here is a link: Grado Splitter (Two people can share same source) [Splitter] - $19.99 : Listening Station!, Specializing in Quality Headphones

Edit: I think it would be a better idea to use 'lockable' neatrik plugs though. I've had all kinds of trouble with extension cables using a regular female jack.

Nov 5, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #12 of 19
Actually, I believe the headphones would be in parallel so the resistance would be halved. As long as the amp can meet the current demand of the new lower-impedance load, you'll be fine.

If the AD2000 are 40 Ohms (same as W2002) that would make a 20 Ohm load for the amp. The gilmore lite should be ok in that case, especially with the DPS.

Nov 5, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punslayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I believe the headphones would be in parallel so the resistance would be halved. As long as the amp can meet the current demand of the new lower-impedance load, you'll be fine.

If the AD2000 are 40 Ohms (same as W2002) that would make a 20 Ohm load for the amp. The gilmore lite should be ok in that case, especially with the DPS.

Yeah, that sounds way more reasonable actually. (R = (40x40)/ (40+40) = 20)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back