Duel driver headphones experiment
Sep 15, 2018 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

michaelwheeldon

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone ever built a Duel driver headphone, in a back to back configuration.
Thinking one in normal position and a smaller second inside facing opposite direction.
The front driver mount would probably be vented within a semi open design.
Or am I crazy .
Just wondering if it's been done in a commercial headphone but it never took off.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 10
The first coax I heard that was good was a Sonab speaker from the mid 70's. After I heard my first ribbon a few years later I thought that could work for car speakers and other small space speakers which is certainly what headphones are.

After owning a raft of ortho dynamic speakers and headphones, and the same for stats (just one can), but only speaker ribbons - I'd conclude that ribbons are the best drivers for 5k and over, and orthos for 500 Hz and under. Stats are the best in the middle.

A few years ago I heard a stack of Bohlender Neo 10's with Raal ribbons on top x'd over to a push/pull woofers. They were very good. Earlier, I heard a pair of ML SL-3's with a pair of Sequerra tweeters (taken from dead DQ-10's), didn't quite gel but impressive in many ways.

Ribbons would seem (electrically) easier to deal with than stats. The overall issue of course is weight. I would think that a ribbon in a headphone could be quite small, in particular if it was crossed fairly high.

On the diyAudio site there was a lively discussion about ribbons and a specific headphone design, it died out about 8 months ago so I don't know anymore on that.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 10
Looking at the crosszones it appears the second internal driver is used to produce sound from the opposite channel to simulate listening to a speaker system.
Ie. Both ears been able to hear left and right channels
If this is the only reason for Internal drivers then I think I'll give it s miss,
Clever but complicated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back