Dudes, what is right for me?
May 12, 2006 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

elessar072

New Head-Fier
Well, after having researched quite a bit I still cannot decide what I should buy. I have an IPOD 3G 15gb and a Z-5300 Logitech sound system at home. I had until now only crappy headphones/earbuds and I'm looking for something under 100 bux that could do well with both of them, even if i rarely listen to my Z-5300s with headphones, but sometimes when people are sleeping, they come in handy. I would mainly use them with my ipod. Closed would be better though I don't mind a little bit of noise, just enough not to disturb people at 2-3 m from me. Of course I need to be able to use them in the subway and noisy places.

I was thinking of the iM716 but they look so fragile and I'm always on the hurry and I won't be able to pack them neatly everytime. I had some MX550 and I loved them (after the ipod standard earphones) but shortly they started breaking apart, first the volume controler (or however it is named) and then the rest. I paied 2 bucks for them but still, I guess I want something that would be robust or somethign big so that I won't be able to put them in my pocket and thus fk them up. Grado 60's and 80s looked good but i understood i need an amp for good quality when used with mp3 players. Amps are erm expensive and I guess extra weight even if its not much.
ATH-A500 also looked pretty nice but they probably need an amp and that would take me into a pricerage of over 100.
KSC75 looked also kewl but I don't really like the style, too "techno-popish-rapperish" or something, just too don't know. I preffer a big pair of headphones as long as the quality is good, but I won't stay away even from the KSC75 if you guys recommand it.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Elessar.

May 12, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 13
I would not call the A500s portable cans. They are quite bulky. Grados are fairly easy to drive but are open and will leak sound. Closed Beyer DT770-80s would work if you like bass. I have seen a person using them in public and they are much smaller than my A900s. KSC75s would be a good choice if you are looking strictly for portable cheap cans.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum and sorry about your wallet. Run while there is still hope for you/

May 12, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 13
You don't really need an amp for any of those... the SR60 sounds great without one. If you liked the way they looked, go for it! It's a personal favorite.

May 12, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 13
A500's wouldn't NEED an amp, but they are huge, so I wouldn't call them portable by any stretch.

Though I haven't heard them yet (mine are on the way), check out the AKG 81DJ thread, these could be a viable option for under $100 (mine were $75 shipped from TTVJ)

May 12, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by elessar072
Well, after having researched quite a bit I still cannot decide what I should buy. I have an IPOD 3G 15gb and a Z-5300 Logitech sound system at home. I had until now only crappy headphones/earbuds and I'm looking for something under 100 bux that could do well with both of them, even if i rarely listen to my Z-5300s with headphones, but sometimes when people are sleeping, they come in handy. I would mainly use them with my ipod. Closed would be better though I don't mind a little bit of noise, just enough not to disturb people at 2-3 m from me. Of course I need to be able to use them in the subway and noisy places.

I was thinking of the iM716 but they look so fragile and I'm always on the hurry and I won't be able to pack them neatly everytime. I had some MX550 and I loved them (after the ipod standard earphones) but shortly they started breaking apart, first the volume controler (or however it is named) and then the rest. I paied 2 bucks for them but still, I guess I want something that would be robust or somethign big so that I won't be able to put them in my pocket and thus fk them up. Grado 60's and 80s looked good but i understood i need an amp for good quality when used with mp3 players. Amps are erm expensive and I guess extra weight even if its not much.
ATH-A500 also looked pretty nice but they probably need an amp and that would take me into a pricerage of over 100.
KSC75 looked also kewl but I don't really like the style, too "techno-popish-rapperish" or something, just too don't know. I preffer a big pair of headphones as long as the quality is good, but I won't stay away even from the KSC75 if you guys recommand it.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Elessar.

The iM716s come with a very protective case. Takes time to spool them up though. I never use it. Many people just use an Altiods can to protect their IEMs. I've just been throwing my iM716s into my computer/briefcase. No problems so far. But yeah, I wouldn't advise stuffing in your pocket with keys or anything.

Good luck!

May 12, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 13
A500's are indeed huge, but if you don't mind that, the ipod will drive them just fine. It won't, however, drive the DT770's just fine, even the 80 ohm version. They need an amp. The SR-60's don't need an amp, and the ipod will drive them quite well. The SR-80's and above do need an amp, however.

SR-60's are IMO the best sound at their price point, as are the KSC-75's, which are abut 80% of the SR-60's. There really is no reason not to pick up the KSC-75's, given how good they are and how little they cost. You can use them on the move, and still have enough spare change left for a full-size set like the A500, which you can use at home.

In proper fashion, let me recommend something over your budget, but which you'll want anyway: the KSC-75 for on the move, and the Sennheiser HD595 50 ohm version for use at home. I think that the 595 is a terrific value at it's price, and it's a very good all-rounder and a good entry-point into hi-fi.

May 13, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 13
wow! i'm quite amazed by the fast replies! thanks guys! Well, I will have to think about your recommandations a little bit, do some research myself see how they look , try them out if i find them around but i doubt it. The S HD595 looks so good and has such good reviews! Too bad its around 200 CAD. Maybe some day .

Big contender is the SR60. But in that case it wouldnt be worth to buy the KSC-75. I mean both of them are open and the amount of sound they leak is, I assume, not very different. the A500 are 150 CAD without customs from ebay. I could not find any other stores that deliver these in canada. What's the quality of the SR-60 compared to the A500?

I guess the perfect solution would have been the HD595 with an amp for mobile use because they sound good and look good. but heh ... So what do you guys think?

I also checked the AKG 81DJ but they dont seem as tempting as the big A500 or HD595 even if they werent yet reviewed. They look cool though. Should i just grab now a KSC-75 and when i get a job in the summer try to raise money for the HD595? The thing is I don't spend a lot of time at home to listen to music, but sometimes I wish I'd have a pair of good phones to imerse myself into the music. The ****y part is that i do not know how often would I use them since I never had a good hi fi pair of headphones.

oh and by the way, Thanks a lot ;D
580smile.gif

May 13, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Should i just grab now a KSC-75 and when i get a job in the summer try to raise money for the HD595?

yes
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Should i just grab now a KSC-75 and when i get a job in the summer try to raise money for the HD595?

i like the way you think

you'll feel right at home here
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 28, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 13
o_O ZOMG! I received my KSC75's yesterday. GOD! They freakin pwn! The sound is so rich and clear, and I've never heard such a well balanced bass (I don't really like my bass too loud) and they fit so well. I don't have problems running with them or anything. They're quite open, the people around me can hear what music I'm listenign to when I have them on but heck I can't really complain for 20 bux they're more than i expected.

Goddamit now after being a tech-pc-hardware freak I'm becoming a headphone freak, no freakin way I just don't have the nerves to resist so much pressure! Well that is until I finish university and get a real job so I can have tehm all! mawhahha!

Anyway guys I wanted to thank you all for the awesome advice hihi, I guess the HD595 will have to wait until the summer or later>> lots of stuff to buy you know heh.. Thank you again
smily_headphones1.gif

580smile.gif
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 13
What pressure?? No one told you to read this site. That was your own fault.
tongue.gif

Now go find a job, and save every penny for a pair of HD595s or DT880s.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back