Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #1,906 of 2,643
Here is a couple of pictures of a Cossor 53KU/GZ37 fat bottle that I bought late last year. The measurements read just below new old stock. It's been lightly used but should still have plenty of life ahead of it. This tube came from a Parisian audiophile who was going through the collection they had built up over the years. I don't know if the pictures can do justice and show the tubes true condition. It's super clean and one of the best used tubes I've purchased.

20210113_120945.jpg20210113_120901.jpg
The 89/86 may indicate it had been used many hours. Do you like it?

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #1,908 of 2,643
The 89/86 may indicate it had been used many hours. Do you like it?

I think rectifiers can have a very long life depending on obvious factors.

To be honest I've only listened to it for maybe 10 hours. I put it into my amp, Woo Audio WA6-SE, to test it out and to give it a listen. I'd say that the review of it on page one does a great job of describing the character. My primary rectifier is a GEC U52, which I absolutely love. Compared to the U52 it does have a little bit more warmth. It also has a more visceral bottom end. It's absolutely a classic tube and I'm happy to own one. I'll keep it as a backup for when my U52 goes out one day. At that point I'll use it as my primary. But yes, a great, great tube in my book.

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #1,910 of 2,643
Jan 22, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #1,911 of 2,643
I think rectifiers can have a very long life depending on obvious factors.

To be honest I've only listened to it for maybe 10 hours. I put it into my amp, Woo Audio WA6-SE, to test it out and to give it a listen. I'd say that the review of it on page one does a great job of describing the character. My primary rectifier is a GEC U52, which I absolutely love. Compared to the U52 it does have a little bit more warmth. It also has a more visceral bottom end. It's absolutely a classic tube and I'm happy to own one. I'll keep it as a backup for when my U52 goes out one day. At that point I'll use it as my primary. But yes, a great, great tube in my book.
I enjoy my 4 2 2 A, and it stays in my amp all the time. But recently added a Marconi U 5 2 according to your recommendation. It will take a while to arrive. :)

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #1,912 of 2,643
I enjoy my 422A, and it stays in my amp all the time. But recently added a Marconi U52 according to your recommendation. It will take a while to arrive. :)

You have me thinking that I haven't heard the Western Electric 422a for a long time.

Rolling this into the WA6-SE today. Let's see how it's sounding.
20210123_115718.jpg

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #1,914 of 2,643
How do you like it?

The Marconi U52 arrived from UK.

I won't say anything about the tube. LOL

Well, it does have better instrument separation then the U52. It also pushes the soundstage further away. It also does have a beautiful 3-D texture that's really pleasing.

Honestly, I prefer the U52. I like that the soundstage is more intimate. It's closer and to me draws you in more. I also like that compared to the Western Electric 422a it's warmer.

I think I'm going to sell the Western Electric 422a. It's an amazing tube but I feel like it needs to find a new home for someone who will listen to it all the time.

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #1,915 of 2,643
Well, it does have better instrument separation then the U52. It also pushes the soundstage further away. It also does have a beautiful 3-D texture that's really pleasing.

Honestly, I prefer the U52. I like that the soundstage is more intimate. It's closer and to me draws you in more. I also like that compared to the Western Electric 422a it's warmer.

I think I'm going to sell the Western Electric 422a. It's an amazing tube but I feel like it needs to find a new home for someone who will listen to it all the time.
You should keep it for future amps/tube rolling.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #1,917 of 2,643
Yes, maybe you're right. I can save this tube for another day. Congrats on the 422a tubes. They are becoming very rare and of course becoming very expensive to obtain.
The U52 will stay in my amp for a while. Our friend lived at Down at Dinos Bar & Grill (@Monsterzero) could be terrified by the punch (bass power) of the tube in the near future. LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back