Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Feb 5, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,021 of 2,665

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #1,022 of 2,665
Received a pair of the new black plate 5Z4G from Langrex, also took a chance at the Mullard brown base GZ30 at 20 quid a pop it was worth the roll. Have the GZ30 in the WA5 right now with B36 and TA300b and like what I'm hearing so far - very dynamic, great with 80's music anyway. Kenny Loggins is taking me to the "Danger Zone" 
atsmile.gif

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #1,023 of 2,665
  Received a pair of the new black plate 5Z4G from Langrex, also took a chance at the Mullard brown base GZ30 at 20 quid a pop it was worth the roll. Have the GZ30 in the WA5 right now with B36 and TA300b and like what I'm hearing so far - very dynamic, great with 80's music anyway. Kenny Loggins is taking me to the "Danger Zone
atsmile.gif

Wow. Be afraid. Be very, very afraid.
tongue_smile.gif
 (and yes, I am dangerous!)

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #1,024 of 2,665
Brimar 5z4g from Langrex.  Quick initial impression in a csp2+.  Sounds like a more dynamic mullard gz37 - but tighter bass, quicker in decay and attack.  Nevertheless the Mullard sounds a little more refined and well balanced.  Mazda 5y3 is more laid back -less upfront - and warmer loss of attack and decay and imaging - murkier some might say instead of warmer but some may prefer this for a more background listening experience.

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,026 of 2,665
I posted this on decware but it bears repeating.  In a Taboo MKIII - I would say the Brimar 5z4 can be perceived as transparent dynamic quick attack and decay with strong generally defined bass.  This is in comparison to the Mullard gz37 skinny bottle.  However one might instead prefer the Mullard over the Brimar and consider it more balanced and refined.  For the price, I am glad to have bought one from Langrex.  It has still not been burned in yet so still may improve further. 

I would choose the Taboo over the WA6se for LCD3f.  The WA6se sounds like it has more power - dynamic attack but it does not feel as euphoric as the Taboo.  I would choose the WA22 over the Taboo.  I think it is a middle ground between dynamics and euphoric sound and does well with dynamic headphones as well.  All are good amps but depends on your preferred signature.  The Cavalli LAu does dynamic with transparency and euphoric very well.

The Sophia Princess 274b mesh plate that is offered as an upgrade for Woo amps is really good in the Decware Taboo MKIII.  However, I understand that using the Sophia in the Taboo may shorten tube life more quickly.  Nevertheless, I'd consider it one of the best rectifiers for the Taboo.  It is transparent dynamic with tight somewhat punchy bass without losing too much top sparkle and euphoric - well balanced.  There is less of a warm veil with this rectifier for some reason as well. It kind of reminds me of when I first heard an HD650 through a bottlehead amp.  I highly recommend it with the caution about the tube life. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #1,027 of 2,665
British tube made by GEC/MWT/Marconi/Osram, etc. I've also seen it branded under Mullard or Brimar. It should be compatible with most 5U4G amps (I have confirmed compatible with Woo WA22 and Stratus).  Mine has grey plates but I've also seen black plates as well as black base versions of this tube. Compared to the Western Electric 422A, I think this would be the second best rectifier tube available. Performance is almost the same as the Western Electric 422A, perhaps only being a little warmer and having a more euphonic tone/timbre/decay. However, it maintains its speed, transparency, layering, soundstage, and imaging. Like the WE422A, it's pretty much nearly perfect in every way and maintains a sort of neutrality throughout. Warm tube sound but with extended air and treble, great staging, deep bass extension, very nice texture and decay as well. Absolutely zero grain with this tube, just like the WE422A, one of the best tubes out there! Sound-wise, it's very similar and shares the same British tone and sound signature of the GEC 6AS7G power tubes. Great synergy with Sennheiser HD 800. Just like the WE422A, this tube can really bring you to tears on the right music, so much magic in the sound of legendary tubes. Price is slightly cheaper than the 422A but similarly priced with tubes going for $350-500$ a piece.
Metal base 5AR4 made by Mullard/Philips (Miniwatt) /Amperex (Bugle Boy logo) in the 1950s before it got replaced by the black base version which is much more common and not as good sounding. This ranks amongst the best tubes I own and I would place it in the top tier with the WE422A, U52, Cossor GZ37. What I really like about this tube is the cool tonality it has while maintaining tube euphony and inherent warmth. Along with this coolness (think of a minty cool kind-of sound), it has a very liquid-like decay and grain free presentation. Transparent, great clarity and treble extension. The midrange is quite neutral as well, having a nice slightly forward presentation while maintaining a good soundstage and image. Timbre remains natural as well as the decay. This tube is very dynamic as well, having some of the best dynamics of any tube. Want to make your amp more neutral and more SS like, while maintaining tube goodness? This is the tube for you! Bass is also amazing having a clean decay, good texture, and deep extension. A nice mid-bass punch as well adds to the fun-factor this tube has. Great for rock, pop, and just about any music in general. Got a slightly sluggish amp or using warmer headphones like planars or Sennheiser HD 650? This is the tube for you! Liquid, liquid, liquid minty coolness, that's about the best way I can describe this tube. Unfortunately, this tube is getting quite rare and hard to find. It often sells for around $350-$500 NOS and sometimes up to $700-$800 for NIB! The Western Electric 422A might be a better buy at those prices. Anyways, this tube is definitely worth trying out! Also to note, this tube is supposed to have a huge lifespan, many lasting for over 40 years  in use and anywhere from 10,000 to 30,000, and even 100,000 hours! Now I'm not sure how long exactly they will last, but these just about last forever!

I agree with dubstep girl.  Holographic - "liquid minty coolness":  about the metal gz34.

And the U52 is warm I think also in a visual sense as oppose to tactile: when describing the sound as warm.  Meaning it isn't syrupy - i.e. thick, coating.  By describing as more visually warm it means more in a glowing sense; i.e, not thick.  I guess one could say warm but transparent.  Or remarkably both warm and transparent. (Cavalli LAu is like that.)
I prefer the sound signature of the gz34 if I had to choose.  But they are great complimentary tubes.

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #1,028 of 2,665
I know it is smaller than the other rectifiers here (just a bit less current capability than a 5Y3) but has anyone any experiece of 5W4GTs? They seem silly cheap even for great examples like National / Tung Sol and for headphone amplifers they might have a place (low heater current also for a rectifier). Plenty available also.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #1,029 of 2,665
  Dennis Had is the founder of Cary Audio (he sold the company and is now semi-retired and making tube amps now for fun).  I sent an email to Dennis asking him whether I could use the 5Z4G in my Dennis Had IHA-1 Dragon Inspire tube amp.  His reply:

"Blake:

Greetings from Cary, North Carolina.  Nice to hear from you today.  You certainly may use the Brimar 5Z4GY rectifier in the mighty IHA-1 Dragon style "can-amp".  You'll find this of interest ... I purchased 144 of the British 5Z4GY tubes back in 1990 from Richardson Electronics.  I used them in the early Cary SLA-70 stereo 70 watt amplifiers.  Oh, I used some in the 300SE mono's as well.  Very nice presentation indeed."

My 5Z4G has not yet arrived but I look forward to comparing it to my Brimar U52.

I just realized I never got around to comparing my Brimar U52 to my Brimar 5Z4GY.  Without getting into too much detail, the U52 beats the 5Z4GY IMHO.  The U52 sounds more refined and nuanced and 3D, more realistic. However, I suspect only the truly addicted hifi nuts (like me) would be willing to pay the steep price increase for the U52 compared to Langrex's pricing on the 5Z4G.  

This is not to detract at all from the 5Z4GY, its one heck of a tube.  The fact that Langrex sells them so cheap is icing on the cake.  

But, in the end U52 is the tube for me.

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #1,030 of 2,665

I just realized I never got around to comparing my Brimar U52 to my Brimar 5Z4GY.  Without getting into too much detail, the U52 beats the 5Z4GY IMHO.  The U52 sounds more refined and nuanced and 3D, more realistic. However, I suspect only the truly addicted hifi nuts (like me) would be willing to pay the steep price increase for the U52 compared to Langrex's pricing on the 5Z4G.  

This is not to detract at all from the 5Z4GY, its one heck of a tube.  The fact that Langrex sells them so cheap is icing on the cake.  

Thank you for posting that comparison.

That puts the Brimar about where I expected - just outside the top tier - but very close. Amazing value for money tube.

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #1,031 of 2,665

:beerchug:

Mar 17, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #1,032 of 2,665
Anyone with experience of both the WE422A and TA274B that can give some impressions?

The Takatsuki 274B is around a grand a tube - does it compare with the best of the best? Inquiring minds want to know
wink_face.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #1,034 of 2,665
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a GZ37 for my Glenn OTL........where is the best place to grab one of these....NOS

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,035 of 2,665
  Thinking about pulling the trigger on a GZ37 for my Glenn OTL........where is the best place to grab one of these....NOS

It depends on what version. Langrex has the Mullard brown base however you need to contact for the price. Upscale Audio has the Philips brown base.

Edit: Actually checked Upscale. Philips are gone. Mullard $159.

Have you tried the Brimar 5Z4GY?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back