Dualdisc Question
Jun 26, 2005 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

steam3642

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there
I have recently got a denon dvd 2200 universal player and i am very impressed by the 2 channel high rez of both dvd audio and sacd , i dont have a surround system so for me 2 channels the go , can ayone tell me if the dual discs dvd side has 2 channel high rez or is it just a dts or other surround version ? , i dont know much about the surround formats so please excuse my ignorance , i guess i would like to know if the dvd side has as good or better than dvd - audio/sacd sound quality , as it looks like these are the next line up of alternate cds , any info would be great as i love sacd / dvd audio but it sounds like these 2 are on the way out according to the press ? .

Jun 26, 2005 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 12
Dual Disc has DVD-Audio/Dolby Digital on one side, and non-redbook CD on the other. On the ones I have, it has 5.1 only, but your player might downmix.
A lot of players won't play Dual Discs, and have disclaimers stating so. The media is "fatter" than a standard disc.

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 12
hi and thanks for the reply , excuse my ignorance but what is non -redbook cd on a dualdisc? from what i have read one side is normal cd , the reason is i saw Miles Davis - Kind of blue recently on dualdisc and was not sure if i should get this one or go straight for th sacd version .

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 12
This should answer your questions on Dual Disc. Please note, they do not state that it is non-redbook.
eek.gif

http://www.dualdisc.com/faq.html

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 12
I see what you mean , they talk of advanced resolution but give no figures ? and no specs on what will make a certain player not read the discs , what kind of format is this if the discs are thicker than standard dvd/cd how can they sell them with any warranty ? sounds like a risk on there part ?

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 12
Many manufacturers, adamantly state, that they will not be reponsible for Duals getting stuck or not working in their players. IMO, they should have just stuck with enlarging the catalogs of SACD and DVD-Audio, which are great Hi-Rez formats.

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 12
I agree , i will go for the sacd version of " Kind of Blue " its a great album ( if you like jazz
tongue.gif
) , sounds like duledisc is to risky for me and i have noticed new dvd audio disc still being released along with sacd so there not dead yet
biggrin.gif
, Dire Straits " Brothers In Arms " sacd releases is a huge shot for the sacd format and i read on a Pink Floyd site that "Wish you were here" is to be released on sacd as well , so much for the format being dead
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 12
Genesis, through its official website, has stated it has finished remixing 3 of its classic albums to surround sound SACD (the band specifically mentioned this format). As of March 2005, Justin Hayward was asked by Universal to approve 7 new 5.1 remixes of classic Moody Blues albums.

Here's an article you may want to read on DualDisc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back