Dual/triple driver custom or Westone 4 - some advice please
Mar 21, 2011 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

McCol

Headphoneus Supremus
A few weeks ago I started a thread on high cost of customs here in the UK.

Now it's my 40th next month and my other half is going to help me fund either the Westone 4 or Minerva Dual or Triple driver customs.

At the moment I use either um3x or ie8 both of which I am happy with but always been curious about customs since getting ACS custom sleeves for the ie8.

My main question is although there is very little info/reviews on the Minerva's, do people think that their triple driver will compare well to my um3x or the W4. I know this is hard for people to answer but looking for views from people who may have brands of customs who have compared with the Westones.

Reason I'm thinking Minerva is that they are £350 for triple driver customs which is almost half the price of other UK brand ACS and I don't want the potential hassles with ordering customs from outside of UK

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 19
A member of pistonheads forum said that Minerva Mi-3 is pretty closely sonically to the UM3X, but it has a much bigger soundstage.

Quote:
 "The sound signature of the Mi-3 is quite similar to the UM3X, same amount of bass, mids and highs with the same level of detail and instrument separation, the difference is the enormous soundstage of the Mi-3 and a more "lively" sound.
One could say that the Mi-3 is a better and upgraded version of the UM3X that fixes the biggest shortcomings of it, dynamics and soundstage."

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=202&t=961041&mid=137273&nmt=Minerva+Custom+IEMs

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
A few weeks ago I started a thread on high cost of customs here in the UK.

Now it's my 40th next month and my other half is going to help me fund either the Westone 4 or Minerva Dual or Triple driver customs.

At the moment I use either um3x or ie8 both of which I am happy with but always been curious about customs since getting ACS custom sleeves for the ie8.

My main question is although there is very little info/reviews on the Minerva's, do people think that their triple driver will compare well to my um3x or the W4. I know this is hard for people to answer but looking for views from people who may have brands of customs who have compared with the Westones.

Reason I'm thinking Minerva is that they are £350 for triple driver customs which is almost half the price of other UK brand ACS and I don't want the potential hassles with ordering customs from outside of UK

I own the $850 triple-driver ES3X customs and SQ-wise the W4 has nothing to envy my customs. My UM3X are about 85-90% as good sonically as my ES3X.

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 19
McCol - Long time no speak, hope you are well :)

To be truthful the W4 are what I reach for 90% of the time now for on the go and sometimes for home listening too (they have synergy with my Fi-Quest amp). I had my W3's shelled with 3 x additional drivers a while back and whilst they are fine indeed the W4's aren't far away in terms of SQ. In fact the W4 are probably better at some things due to being perfectly balanced (to my ears at least).

I've had a few long sessions with the W4 and it's easy to forget you are wearing IEM's and not full sized cans as they are so full bodied and for an IEM the soundstage is quite substantial.

If you are in the midlands anytime soon and want to audition them you are more than welcome.....

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 19
I got the W4 in the mail today and they seemed to perform quite well. I can't say too much about them yet but I would suggest getting the W4 first to see if you like it. That way if you do not like it and resell the loss to you won't be too high. With customs resale value is pretty bad with 50% or less of original cost and pretty difficult for those that are not JH13,JH16, etc.

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 19
McCol - Long time no speak, hope you are well :)

To be truthful the W4 are what I reach for 90% of the time now for on the go and sometimes for home listening too (they have synergy with my Fi-Quest amp). I had my W3's shelled with 3 x additional drivers a while back and whilst they are fine indeed the W4's aren't far away in terms of SQ. In fact the W4 are probably better at some things due to being perfectly balanced (to my ears at least).

I've had a few long sessions with the W4 and it's easy to forget you are wearing IEM's and not full sized cans as they are so full bodied and for an IEM the soundstage is quite substantial.

If you are in the midlands anytime soon and want to audition them you are more than welcome.....

Hi Spud
I'm good thanks hope you are as well, not spoke as I've given up on amps so no need for cables!!

Thanks for the offer, if I still lived in Leicester would take you up on it.

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 19
I got the W4 in the mail today and they seemed to perform quite well. I can't say too much about them yet but I would suggest getting the W4 first to see if you like it. That way if you do not like it and resell the loss to you won't be too high. With customs resale value is pretty bad with 50% or less of original cost and pretty difficult for those that are not JH13,JH16, etc.

Did think about doing that but may get the customs first as not sure if Minerva will keep their prices as low as they are now. My thinking is that if I prefer the customs I would sell the um3 to fund the W4.

Would be keen to hear how you compare the W4 to your 1964's after you've had an exended listen on the W4.

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 19
I may do that eventually. I'll have to see how good the W4 performs. I've also been thinking about asking for a UM3X loaner so I can hear them as well as compare to the W4 but I'll have to see over the next few days.

On a side note..what happened to the long W4 thread? I couldn't find it earlier today for some reason.

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 19
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
I may do that eventually. I'll have to see how good the W4 performs. I've also been thinking about asking for a UM3X loaner so I can hear them as well as compare to the W4 but I'll have to see over the next few days.

On a side note..what happened to the long W4 thread? I couldn't find it earlier today for some reason.

It was MIA for a while but it was restored later in the day...

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 19
the Westone 4 is getting pretty good reviews, yet customs provide a better fit that you may miss out on if you get the W4.
it's a tough choice if you ask me..

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #13 of 19
What do you mean about the 10-20% loss?

Quote:
It's probably best for you if you buy the W4's but if you want that extra 10-20% you lose out on in a universal go custom.
Thanks

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 19
I mean the possible sonic disadvantages many universals tend to lack over custom in-ear monitors.
Of course, for some people, noise isolation allows customs to fit their taste's better.
But it seems as if most people prefer the overall "balance," sonically, that customs offer. 
Just remember I was only talking about sound.
Thanks for asking. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back