Dual SSID
Nov 2, 2008 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

StanleyB1

Banned - Shares IP addresses with DC Lee Herandu
I got a few computers that only support WEP, whilst others support anything. I was thinking of getting one of these Dual SSID wireless routers and set up an SSID for WEP and one for WPA. This is all experimental for me. Has anyone else gone this route? Things to consider, routers to recommend? Someone mentioned that I need WRT, but haven't got a clue what he's on about.

Stan

Nov 2, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 8
all that comes to mind with WRT is that linksys starts model numbers with WRT.

A while back linksys released their firmware as open source, and dd-wrt.com was started, it is a 3rd party firmware which may have the ability for dual ssids.

Nov 3, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 8
I had dual SSID's going for a while when I was using my Nintendo DS online. Worked pretty good for that purpose, no issues as long as you know which access point you're using and not hopping on the wrong one and doing anything sensitive.

I told my OS to NOT access the less secure SSID at all, even if the secure signal was weaker. This is important if you're using WiFi inside the house and doubly so if you have neighbours with WiFi and don't want to access their's either.

BTW, I'm using the Belkin N1.

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 8
Yep, security is an issue. I tried two routers, but I can only use network printer on one network in that case.

If I get it all working, I'll give an update in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation. Snapped up a Zyxel Dual SSID wireless router yesterday after downloading their manual and having a look at how easy it is to set up.

Cheers for the inputs.

Stan

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 8
Buy this router:

Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router - WRT54GL - Buy.com

Note the "L" in the part number, it's important.

and load at least v24 of this firmware:

DD-WRT

Then follow these (kind of terrible) directions:

Dual SSID one for public network - DD-WRT Wiki

EDIT: Oops. Didn't read your last message above. I'm not sure that you want to set-up your network so that the WEP SSID can access items on the WPA SSID. If you're going to do that, why don't you just run one WEP-only SSID. I would run two SSIDs, one WPA and one WEP, isolate them from each other and let them both access the internet. Running both encryption schemes and letting them access each other basically only give you WEP level security.

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 8
I actually have this running on my home network. I have two SSID wireless networks running with the option to run 6 more. I'm not using a wireless router for this though. I'm using a pure access point. The access point I'm using is a Netgear WG102.

The only catch with running multiple SSID networks on the WG102 is the requirement to have the access point terminate into a switch which understands trunking and 802.1Q VLAN tagging. I have the WG102 terminating into a Cisco 3560 8 port layer 3 switch.

If you're going through the trouble of configuring two SSIDs due to security concerns over wireless encryption, you do not want to have both wireless networks terminate into the same subnet. You want to split the SSID servicing only WEP into a "dirty" or DMZ type subnet where you severely restrict the type of activity devices on this subnet can do. Obviously going this route will increase the setup complexity of your network.

On my home network, I have one SSID servicing up wireless on my DMZ/guest network and the other for my personal laptop which sits on a subnet by itself. The wired devices like my network fileserver sit on yet another different subnet totally isolated from any wireless connectivity. All this connectivity is policed by a Cisco ASA 5505 and a Netgear FVS338 as my edge router.

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #8 of 8
I use and recommend the Linksys WRV200. Still very easy to setup, reliable and (now) cheap.

Datasheet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back