Dual Purpose Headphones
Jun 9, 2013 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

mcarther101

New Head-Fier
Currently, I have garbage Turtle Beach X12 headphone that just sounds muffled and uninspiring.  I'm looking for a full-size stereo headphone that I can play off of two different sources: my computer (with on-board sound, but decent gaming motherboard) and my home theater AV receiver.  I want something that sounds cinematic, and exciting watching movies, but can also serve a purpose when gaming, or even listening to music.

I read Mad Lust Envy's thread reviewing gaming headphones, and am drawn to Beyerdynamic's DT990's.  The problem, is that the 32ohm version is considerably more expensive than the 250ohm version.  While I consider eventually buying a portable, and desk amp for headphones, as well as upgrading to a PCI-e soundcard for my computer, I'm in no rush to shell out extra money if unnecessary.  

Can I expect a reasonable amount of volume/clarity still from a 250ohm headphone out of 1) my computer's built-in X79 Extreme 4 motherboard, and 2) my Yamaha RX-V373 AV Receiver?

The 250ohm version can be found for about $155 whereas the 32ohm version is $290! At which point, I would assume, I could also budget a decent amp if necessary, right?

What are your recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back