Dual listening: Amp with two headphone outputs
Sep 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kali77

100+ Head-Fier
So my wife has really started to get into listening to my rig lately. Are there any good amps that have dual headphone inputs so we can listen together? I was literally getting ready to purchase the new oppo ha-1 last night and then she stated she wanted to get a set of cans. So I figured if the option is out there I should explore it so we can listen together. Looking for something that can power a wide variety of cans. I have T1's and HD650s right now but am looking at some planar options to add down the line, as well as maybe the hd800. Thanks for any guidance/suggestions.

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 18
So I'm looking at the Grace M920 or 903 and the benchmark dac2. Leaning towards the Grace. My question is will either of these units have enough power to drive the T1 and another set of cans simultaneously? Second set is undecided but considering Fostex th900, Senn hd800, or another set of T1's depending on what the wife wants. I really don't want to have to buy a separate amp also. Thanks for any guidance. Also open to other recommendations on amp/Dac that has two headphone outputs.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 18
Both units have excellent DAC sections, but i'm not sure how much power they are able to deliver as the tests i made were only with 1 set of headphones. 

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for the response. Another question. Will it be an issue if I'm using different impedance can simultaneously? Say 600phm T1 and 32ohm Th900's. Is there a better way of doing a dual listening setup with the same audio source?

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 18
Thanks for the response. Another question. Will it be an issue if I'm using different impedance can simultaneously? Say 600phm T1 and 32ohm Th900's. Is there a better way of doing a dual listening setup with the same audio source?

I have a Matrix Quattro headphone amp.
It has two single ended headphone jacks and can easily drive your loads.
BUT, you cannot independently control the volume of each headphone jack!
The Bryston has three sets of headphone jacks (two balanced and one single ended), again, you cannot control the volume independently.
This is typical of almost any headphone amp with two or three headphone jacks.

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 18
https://www.lehmannaudio.com/headphone-amplifiers/home/linear.html#produktbeschreibung

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #7 of 18
Thanks for the recommendations. So the volume levels will be significantly different with the different loads. Hmmm was trying to avoid two separate amps, but that might be the best solution. Two amps connected to one Dac to laptop.

Edit: actually I don't think that will work. Can I run two amps through one dac simultaneously?

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 18
Thanks for the recommendations. So the volume levels will be significantly different with the different loads. Hmmm was trying to avoid two separate amps, but that might be the best solution. Two amps connected to one Dac to laptop.

Edit: actually I don't think that will work. Can I run two amps through one dac simultaneously?

Your Visio withstanding, LOL,
Yes, you can drive two headphone amps from one DAC!

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #10 of 18
Thanks Chris. Visio on hold lol, picked up a pair of Audeze lcd-xc yesterday. Now I just need to decide on my amp upgrade. I'm thinking benchmark dac2. Another member did me a favor and hooked up a pair of audeze x and a pair of hd650's to his dac2 and told me he had no problems driving them simultaneously.

Your Visio withstanding, LOL,
Yes, you can drive two headphone amps from one DAC!

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 18
Yes, you are going to have different volumes driving different load headphones. Depending on how volume sensitive either of you are this may or may not work for you. Some of the higher end amps allow you to adjust the gain independently which will help the situation. Still, I'd suspect in the long run you'd be happier with two amps. In any case, I find it really nice to be able to drive multiple pairs of headphones from the same source at the same time, even for one listener.

What I would do is look for an amp with two headphone jacks AND a loop out. This is how I run my system. My sources feed into the two inputs of the GS-1 and then I loop out to the Woo Audio amp. This allows me to drive both amps independently from the same sources. As the GS-1 is no longer in production I don't know what to suggest off the top of my head. Maybe something like the Luxman P200.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 18
Thank you very helpful. This is what I feared. The xc will be here tomorrow, so I will A/B it against the T1 on my current amp to see how significant the volume differences are. If they are indeed significant I will have to start researching the two amp with a loop option I suppose.

Yes, you are going to have different volumes driving different load headphones. Depending on how volume sensitive either of you are this may or may not work for you. Some of the higher end amps allow you to adjust the gain independently which will help the situation. Still, I'd suspect in the long run you'd be happier with two amps. In any case, I find it really nice to be able to drive multiple pairs of headphones from the same source at the same time, even for one listener.

What I would do is look for an amp with two headphone jacks AND a loop out. This is how I run my system. My sources feed into the two inputs of the GS-1 and then I loop out to the Woo Audio amp. This allows me to drive both amps independently from the same sources. As the GS-1 is no longer in production I don't know what to suggest off the top of my head. Maybe something like the Luxman P200.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 18
Here's a nice option I just came across - the Violectric V220 http://violectric-usa.com/hpa-v220

Two headphone jacks, each with independently adjustable gain and loop/pre-outs. Also available with a DAC section.

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #15 of 18
Kali77

How did the Benchmark DAC2 HGC ( AMP/DAC) work for you?

I too have the same issue, trying to find a good amp/dac with dual headphone inputs to allow listening with the wifey. .

What about the concern of the headphones having different impedance......can you control the volume independently?

I am considering: Chord Hugo or Eomotiva Stealth DC 1  ????????

Does anyone know if either will work?

Suggestions/Recommendations????

Violectric HPA V220?

Luxman P200

Thanks!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back