Dual Input Signals
Apr 1, 2006 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

drbig

New Head-Fier
I want to have two input sources for a Pimeta. One will be Alf's Alien DAC built into the same case, so it will be hard-wired into the amp and can't be unplugged. The other will be a pair of RCA plugs for sources such as a CD player. I believe I need to put a switch on these lines in order to isolate them from each other, correct? If so, what is the best type of switch to use that will degrade the SQ the least? Would a simple DPDT toggle be OK? What features should I look for?

I have thought about bringing the DAC output outside the case and using some type of RCA jumpers to get it to the input. Is this worth doing?

Thanks for any help.

Apr 1, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 3
Also consider a 3PDT switch to isolate the grounds of the various inputs. I used a DPDT on my M3 and get hum when I connect my iPod when it is powered to my PC. The 3PDT switch reduces the amount of stuff hooked together via ground.

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

The 3PDT switch reduces the amount of stuff hooked together via ground

careful though man.Removing ground AND signal using a break before make switch (all toggles) can results in popping noises.The remedy is a three pole shorting (make before break) rotary like the Lorlins ($4)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back