DTS Headphone:X v2.0 Impressions
Aug 25, 2019 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

johnn29

100+ Head-Fier
Wasn't sure what forum to post this in, mods feel free to move.

Anyone interested in surround sound headphones should give DTS Headphone X v 2.0 a play. It's on the Windows 10 Insider preview build but will be on general release whenever that hits public.

• Has Headphone Compensation. That's something Dolby just didn't do. And the compensation is good - they fix the horrible treble on the Bayerdynamic DT990.
  • I love the two options for spacious and closed. Means you can open it up for HT applications.
  • Height channels work! Something none of the speaker virtualization tools will be able to emulate bar the Smyth.
  • Center channel is in front of me - feels at least good as Dolby Headphone DH-2.
  • It actually sounds good for music, Atmos was terrible.

It doesn't support 2 channel music yet though. It won't activate if you only have 2 channels active. Also no 44.1khz headphones (Bluetooth) due to a Windows issue. They're working to address that.

Really excellent implementation - hopefully Dolby responds now.

Aug 25, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 4
Wasn't sure what forum to post this in, mods feel free to move.

Anyone interested in surround sound headphones should give DTS Headphone X v 2.0 a play. It's on the Windows 10 Insider preview build but will be on general release whenever that hits public.

• Has Headphone Compensation. That's something Dolby just didn't do. And the compensation is good - they fix the horrible treble on the Bayerdynamic DT990.
  • I love the two options for spacious and closed. Means you can open it up for HT applications.
  • Height channels work! Something none of the speaker virtualization tools will be able to emulate bar the Smyth.
  • Center channel is in front of me - feels at least good as Dolby Headphone DH-2.
  • It actually sounds good for music, Atmos was terrible.

It doesn't support 2 channel music yet though. It won't activate if you only have 2 channels active. Also no 44.1khz headphones (Bluetooth) due to a Windows issue. They're working to address that.

Really excellent implementation - hopefully Dolby responds now.
Not a big fan of Atmos "Music" mode?

Aug 26, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 4
I didn't mind it on my s10 - just added some cross feed I felt. Was very subtle and could never get the virtual center for 2 channel music out of my head. DH-2 (the old version) could.

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 4
I didn't mind it on my s10 - just added some cross feed I felt. Was very subtle and could never get the virtual center for 2 channel music out of my head. DH-2 (the old version) could.
Interesting observation. You wouldn't think there'd be much of a difference between devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back