DT990Pro Right Driver Rattle ?
Nov 28, 2011 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

WhDemon

100+ Head-Fier
Sadly, after 2 months of normal use, the right driver started to rattle with any bass heavy songs. What should I do ? I removed the pad but I don't want to damage anything removing the plastic ring to check the driver. I email Beyer and I got a Service form under warranty.

Should I send them asap ? Anyone dealt with their service ? Timeframe ?

Thanks

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 11
My ex-DT770's had that problem, although it was actually very minor. You could only hear it when you turned Fiio e5's bass boost on, and turned treble all the way down from the EQ. It sounded like something resonating in the cup, but I don't know.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 11
Does that happen when you switch sides? It could be imbalances in songs.

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 11
It's a common problem, just remove the hair from the driver:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/462868/beyerdynamic-dt-770-rattle-in-left-ear-need-amp#post_6746806

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 11
The thing is, how do I remove the plastic ring that's holding the foam without damaging the ring or the driver.

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 11
very carefully--you have to wedge it off.  Once you get under it, it clicks out.  Just be careful.

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 11
Yes Beyers need to be cleaned from hairs. 880s and 990s, hairs don't have too much trouble getting through into the area where they start adding rattle to your bass response. My advice would be to have a pair of tweezers handy so you can remove stray hairs from the exterior padding/foam... the part you can touch without taking off the plasic cap. Check every few days and you may have less or no problems with hairs getting to a spot where the thing's gotta be opened up.

And I agree.. caution caution caution... no sharp objects, and it's best if you're of the steady hand type.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Yes Beyers need to be cleaned from hairs. 880s and 990s, hairs don't have too much trouble getting through into the area where they start adding rattle to your bass response. My advice would be to have a pair of tweezers handy so you can remove stray hairs from the exterior padding/foam... the part you can touch without taking off the plasic cap. Check every few days and you may have less or no problems with hairs getting to a spot where the thing's gotta be opened up.

And I agree.. caution caution caution... no sharp objects, and it's best if you're of the steady hand type.

You know if theres any tutorial on how to open these headphones with pics or video ?

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhDemon

You know if theres any tutorial on how to open these headphones with pics or video ?

Wouldn't this work for the DT990 too? http://redsecta.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/beyerdynamic-dt770-pro-80-mod-pt-i/ (Scroll down a bit for disassembly)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back