DT990Pro break in
Mar 28, 2006 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

parker_knoll

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I just got a set of DT990Pros to use primarily for mixing in a home studio enviornment and listening back to mixes. I also use DT250/250s to record vocals and for tracking, but I wanted something more comfortable and with a more open sound to check mixes on.

Problem is, they are all crystalline high and nice bass but nothing in the middle. I've read previous posts and see others agree with this lack of midrange.

My question is: do they improve with break-in, or should I just take them straight back and get some K240s?

Cheers,

PK

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 11
i should perhaps add that my priorities for mixing phones are comfort and and a balanced sound. I aim for a warm analogue sound with my mixes, so a trebnly paid of cans is not such a bad thing as it makes me push the midrange, but i find it exhausting to hear all that horrible stuff tinkling away.

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by parker_knoll
i should perhaps add that my priorities for mixing phones are comfort and and a balanced sound. I aim for a warm analogue sound with my mixes, so a trebnly paid of cans is not such a bad thing as it makes me push the midrange, but i find it exhausting to hear all that horrible stuff tinkling away.

For balanced sound you should maybe consider the DT880. The DT990 are not exactly regarded as neutral cans. The DT880 have slightly overemphasized treble, but a sweet midrange and accurate bass reproduction (although not an overwhelming amount of bass).

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 11
I'd look at models like HD650, DT660, HD600, or why not a K601. Be sure to consult the Headroom frequency response measurements.

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 11
The bass and the trebble tames down a bit, but after burn in they are still far from neutral. I use my DT 990 Pro for creating, mixing and mastering electronical dance music (a wild mixture of Industrial Noise, Acid, E.B.M. and orchestral instruments) and this stuff requieres lots of bass and trebble. The DT 770 and DT 990 are the only headphones that gives you a club like athmosphere and so you can you can see how it sounds when it is played in a disco. Never the less I always do a final check with my K-501 to see how it sounds on audiophile equipment.
If your music is no electronical dance music or hiphop, then you are probably getting better results with a DT-880 or K-701.

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 11
thanks for these recommendations. Sadly all these cans are well out of my price range, and all twice as much as the DT990Pro as far as I can see.

I guess I'll try to K240S for a more comfortable listen and see how we go. Thanks anyway.

Apr 3, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 11
The K501 has a very sweet midrange and is very quick (nearly electrostatic like) and this can result in a little roled off bass with some music (but strangly not all). It makes the perfect counterpart to the DT 990 and both together won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 11
In fact, the K501 does drop off pretty steeply below about 80 Hz, as the Headroom measurements indicate. It is to be noted, however, that there appear to be two types of earpads used (brown or black rings) of which one - presumably newer? - gives noticeably better bass. Looks like front / back wave cancellation then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back