DT990 vs AKG K70X Comfort?
Oct 15, 2010 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

sumathias

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm thinking of getting either the Beyerdynamic DT990s (normal version, not pros) or the AKG K701/2s and I have problems deciding between the two. I heard the dt990s once and I liked its natural sound alot. However, I own the DT770s and I feel that they get very hot and stuffy around my ears after an hour or two and the DT990's architecture looks quite similar to it. Never had the opportunity to wear the dt990s or the AKGs for a long time.

So do any of you own 1 or both? Could you tell me what comfort issues they have? And is there another good sounding, comfortable headphone around this price range that I could consider?

Thanks!

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 31
Can't speak to the AKG but I did own the Beyer and it's sublimely comfortable (though any circumaural phone has the potential to make your ears get a little sweaty occasionally). But sonically the DT990 is nowhere near as neutral as the K70x is said to be- it's bass-heavy and has a noticeably recessed midrange (that's why I sold mine). The DT880, as far as I can judge by FR curves, would be much more comparable to the K70x.

Oct 15, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 31
ooo thanks for the quick replies!

by the way, its quite hot where i come from, so my room is air conditioned almost almost all the time. Does that change anything?

Also, whats this thing about neutrality? (sorry im a noob to all this) Is a neutral sound better?

Oct 15, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 31

Quote:

Also, whats this thing about neutrality? (sorry im a noob to all this) Is a neutral sound better?

Totally a matter of taste. Do you want cans that are fairly close to being a transparent window on the recording, or do you want cans that lend a particular coloring (for example, lots of bass) across the board? Only you can decide. But DT990 to K70x seems like kind of an apples to oranges comparison; it suggests that you need to slow down a little and figure out what you really want.

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:
So do any of you own 1 or both? Could you tell me what comfort issues they have? And is there another good sounding, comfortable headphone around this price range that I could consider?

I own both of those cans. Comfort on both is outstanding. I prefer the feel of the K701s pads but I like the headband on the DT990 much more. The DT990 had a greater tendency to get warmer if I remember correctly though I was in a different room than I am now so there may have been temperature differences between the two. Honestly, both are very comfortable but I'll give the edge to the Beyers unless I could obtain a K701 sans the bumps.

The DT880 would probably also be one to consider, however, you did say that you felt the DT990 was natural so that may be the way to go depending on your taste for bass, mids, and treble.

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 31
Thing is, even without the bumps, you're always going to end up with pretty hard surface materials with the K701.  The headband, whether you cut it off the bumps or switch it for a K601 one, would be of stiff leather, and the earpads while velour are also on bit of a stiff/hard side.  I'd have to give edge in comfort to Beyers for this reason.

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 31
Wash the pads on the 701s to soften them. Over time, the cushion will condense and condition with skin oils which helps the bass and brings a boundary to the soundstage. New, the soundstage seems to fade away.

If you fold a crease of the leather band in the middle, it will ease some of the stress at the mid ridge contact point. A little leather treatment will soften it in time. While there is heat inside the cups, it is only your body heat. That I know of, all headphones around the ear will do this.

If ear contact is an issue, the Sony F1 is an option. That or the AKG K1000.

Oct 15, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 31
Hi,

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I think i'll have to go to my local hifi shop and spend a few hours comparing the DT 880/990s and the AKGs... I never knew that those bumps on the headband would be such a problem though.

Oh ya, the DT 880/990s have options of 32/250/600 ohms. Is there any difference in sound quality between these cans? I don't exactly have a powerful desktop amp (just 2 portable ones) so which one should I be getting?

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #11 of 31
I find the DT990 to be very comfortable. Because of the comfort factor, I use my DT990 for watching movies and playing games when I may use it for one or two hours straight.

I sold my K701 precisely because of the lack of comfort. I didn't like the top band pressing down on my head. YMMV.

But as matthew noted, you've headphones that need desktop amps to drive properly and of the two, the 32 ohm DT990 may be the best bet.

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #14 of 31
I own and truly enjoy both. The SS is very different but I specifically got them to compliment each other - m K701s are my go to pair for acoustic music and jazz - the Beyers for Rock, Pop etc. As far as comfort - I find both incredibly comfortable, the k701 band can eventually start to feel a little harsh after a long listening session, the DT990 ear pads are luxurious - I'd give the edge to the Beyers in comfort.

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 31

Quote:
I own and truly enjoy both. The SS is very different but I specifically got them to compliment each other - m K701s are my go to pair for acoustic music and jazz - the Beyers for Rock, Pop etc. As far as comfort - I find both incredibly comfortable, the k701 band can eventually start to feel a little harsh after a long listening session, the DT990 ear pads are luxurious - I'd give the edge to the Beyers in comfort.

Pretty much agree with this. I'll just add that the Beyers can be made even more comfortable with the gel pads but get ready for bass-all-over-the-place!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back