DT990 vs AKG K70X Comfort?
Oct 17, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #16 of 31
I would have to agree with the previous post.  I have both the 990's and the K702's and find the Beyers very comfortable and light.  The K702's are a bit big and sloppy.  However it depends on the shape of ones head.  

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 31
I would recommend the Denon D2000's in this price range.  Very silky sound with nicer bass than both the Beyer and K702.  If I could choose only one I would take the Denons.  I am also really liking the Ultrasone PRO 750's.  Very punchy bass and a nice open sound for a closed headphone.  

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #18 of 31
The AKG phones are some of the more comfortable circumaural cans I own, but with some caveats. Somebody at AKG was totally high when he ordered bumps in the headband. They drive some people nuts. There's a review in the gear section where somebody says that he managed to soften the bumps by squeezing them between his fingers regularly.

The K702s are also probably the least eyeglass-friendly cans I've got. Like the bumps, this is an inconvenience more than a dealbreaker for me, but it's worth noting.

I don't have an opinion about the Beyers, sorry. Haven't tried them.

Oct 18, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #19 of 31
Argh...

First I was sure about the DT990s, then I wanted the K702s, then back to the DT990s, now I'm considering the DT880s and the Denon AHD2000s as well... this is giving me a headache
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice though... this forum is very helpful!

By the way, which can do you think has the most 'sparkle' in the mids/highs? (couldn't tell which one it was lol)  the sparkle of the ath m50s really wow'd me last time when i heard it. I want a set of cans that are higher grade than that though.
o2smile.gif

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #20 of 31
If it makes you feel better, whichever of these four you get would be easy to sell for pretty close to what you paid. So there's really little risk; just try one and see if it makes you happy.

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #21 of 31
The only person that can judge how comfortable any of these cans will be on your head is you.

I have a huge, shaved head, but it is long and narrow.  My K702s are the most comfortable cans I own on my head.  Have never even noticed the head band bumps others complain about.

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #22 of 31
Staying relevant to the conversation, I have used Denon D5000, AKG K701, DT880 and DT990. In terms of comfortability, I would rate them: DT990>DT880>K701>D5000. The D5000 kinda made me feel claustrophobic and the K701's earpads were quite hard. The DT990 clamped less than my DT880 (both premium version) and the pads were softer (I assume this is only because the Dt990 I tried were used by someone with a larger head and were used more often than these DT880). Denon's D5000 bass was way too extreme for me. Damn there was a lot of it and it hit really hard haha. DT990s treble was too much for me and the K701 are terrible for the music I mainly listen to (rock and metal). 

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #23 of 31
Comfort-wise, I'd place a Premium Beyer (I had the DT880) ahead of my K701 by a little, due to the initial discomfort of the bumps, and the hard pads. The Beyers are like pillows, but I wish they clamped just a little more. I found the Beyer Pros (had the DT770 Pro 80) to be more comfy overall.

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #24 of 31
i like the comfort of my DT990s better than the AKG701s.  but mainly b/c the AKG's headband put a lot of pressure on the top of my head. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #25 of 31
I bought a pair of AKGs K702s a few weeks ago and I find them to be very comfortable but I have not tried the other headphones being discussed here.

For me the bumps on the headband have not been a problem at all. I had read about this here before I bought the AKGs and I remember when I first put them on my head I was conscious of them and wondering if they'd be a problem. However I soon forgot about them and now only remember them when I see them mentioned in these forums.

So, in my case the bumps don't seem to be a problem.

I do think that with the AKG K702s a good amplifier is necessary, as the amp improves in quality so does the sound quality of the K702s. I find them to be stunningly transparent which is exactly how I like things to be. I hate hi fi things that add bass or "warmth" or any of these things.

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #26 of 31
The K702 are comfortable, but the "memory foam" is somewhat stiffer than the Beyer pads and the Audio-Technica Pads. The Beyer are definitely more comfortable.

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #27 of 31
DT990s I can wear on my head for 10+ hours at a time without any issue at all, they're by far the most comfortable headphones I've worn. I notice alot of people seem to complain about the bumps on the headband of the K701/K702, some people end up cutting out the lumps to make it flat and comfortable.

Also unless you particularly need closed headphones for portable use or noisy enviroments (ie: DT770, Denon AH-D2000), you'll get much better comfort with an open pair of headphones specifically because they let more air in and out, I have yet to seen a pair of closed headphones that DOESN'T result in sweaty ears after a few hours. Open headphones tend to sound better anyways. With the DT 990 or 880 you shouldn't have any issues with sweaty ears, since both of them are open.

As for DT 880 vs 990, the 880 has less bass in exchange for a bit more balanced everything else (however, bass is still notably present and not recessed). The DT 990 imo are GREAT all around headphones for every type of genre with great soundstage, you can't really go wrong with these. The DT 990 in comparison to the DT 770 should sound more balanced with better soundstage, a bit reduced bass (but still present and controlled), much like the changes going from DT 990 to 880. It just depends on how much you like your bass.

The K701/K702 and DT 770 or 990 are VERY different headphones, as these beyers have a bit of emphasis on bass, while the K702 has recessed bass unless paired with some "coloring" amps/dacs that lean a bit towards bass - this is the biggest weakness of the K702, where as the bass quality is the biggest strength of the 770. You also might be very disappointed (in comparison to your DT 770) if you don't have a proper amp for the K702s, as without a proper source they will sound very thin and weak.

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #28 of 31
I have had my DT880pros  on for entire work days without any issue what so ever. The 990 might even be lighter, not sure, but even the pro is a comfey headphone, the consumer version has a different headband and should even be better right?

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #29 of 31
I just recieved my DT-990 v600ohm yesterday and would say buy those.. $229 @B&H vs $300+ for K-702  no contest
The K-702s have a huge ring and the bumps don't bother me at all but the ring size does

I don't like the DT-990 fluffy pads and like the AGKs better as its hot here in GA and can get sweaty some days in doors..

I also own HD-600s and I'm really enjoying the DT-990s more but do need some EQing to be extra nice..

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #30 of 31
 I have the old DT990 and a K701. The K701 are in my opinion not comfortable. The pads are too hard and it doesn't cup or seal perfectly around my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back