DT990: Transparent bass?
Dec 16, 2007 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
I notice the bass is very deep & has very good extension.. It has a nice slam, but doesn't feel solid or 'physical'.. It has slam & impact, but no weight in a sense, it's like you can see right through it, if that makes sense? Anyone come to this conclusion? I do feel the 880's are the better cans.. More refined & 'mature'..

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 44
"..It has a nice slam, but doesn't feel solid or 'physical..'"

i don't understand what you mean by physical. did you expect to be hit by a brick wall after each beat? :p

i think the bass is very airy, some bass actually leaks out from the other side (through the vents on the outside of the earcup) and it gives it a very realistic airy open bass feel to it. sort of like it's coming from speakers, yet you can't feel it in the rest of your body so it doesn't give you that physical aspect of bass.

can you compare this to any of your other phones? hd650, sa5000? it's a bit hard to understand what you mean exactly.

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"..It has a nice slam, but doesn't feel solid or 'physical..'"

i don't understand what you mean by physical. did you expect to be hit by a brick wall after each beat? :p

i think the bass is very airy, some bass actually leaks out from the other side (through the vents on the outside of the earcup) and it gives it a very realistic airy open bass feel to it. sort of like it's coming from speakers, yet you can't feel it in the rest of your body so it doesn't give you that physical aspect of bass.

can you compare this to any of your other phones? hd650, sa5000? it's a bit hard to understand what you mean exactly.

Sorry for the words.. Its just hard to explain it. Maybe I mean physical as in 'grounded' opposite of airy.. When I hear audible differences in headphones I visualize with mental images what it sounds like to me. I will compare the DT990 to my other phones.. Although the Dt990 bass is either hit or miss with me.. No middle ground.

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice the bass is very deep & has very good extension.. It has a nice slam, but doesn't feel solid or 'physical'.. It has slam & impact, but no weight in a sense, it's like you can see right through it, if that makes sense? Anyone come to this conclusion? I do feel the 880's are the better cans.. More refined & 'mature'..

I agree 100%, Couldn't have said it better myself.
It is the main reason they are second to the HD650, HD600 and Darth Beyers on my list.
[edit] I called it "lack of body" .

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 44
I'd rather say there is punch but no body in the bass. It's like a big ball, it might hit you but you feel it's empty inside.
I listened to all higher 2005 Beyerdynamic's models and finally chose the DT880 Pro's but I wouldn't say they are better than DT880 2005's. They are different in the way that I prefer the Pro's. Regarding tonality - they are pretty the same, not like DT990 2005's against DT990 Pro's (much prefered here). During the Beyerdynamic's exhibition I refused to think of the DT990 2005's anymore, same with the new DT770's. DT990's trebles humiliate my ears, and the bass is like... read this thread.
wink.gif
And finally - where is this sweet DT880's midrange?
confused.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rather say there is punch but no body in the bass. It's like a big ball, it might hit you but you feel it's empty inside.
I listened to all higher 2005 Beyerdynamic's models and finally chose the DT880 Pro's but I wouldn't say they are better than DT880 2005's. They are different in the way that I prefer the Pro's. Regarding tonality - they are pretty the same, not like DT990 2005's against DT990 Pro's (much prefered here). During the Beyerdynamic's exhibition I refused to think of the DT990 2005's anymore, same with the new DT770's. DT990's trebles humiliate my ears, and the bass is like... read this thread.
wink.gif
And finally - where is this sweet DT880's midrange?
confused.gif

LOL, yes a ball is the right word! Like a big ball made of foam but when I listened to K701 I come to think about a Golf ball hitting my head
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's difficult to explain, but yes, the dt990 has somewhat a strange "timbre" in the bass region. Fascinating, anyway..

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 44
i think you guys need to hear the dt990s on my setup lol. the bass slam literally pushes my eardrums in if i turn it up loud on techno/rap songs. the bass is definitely better than the sf5eb's. the IEMs have more in-your-head-bass, and the dt990s have more speaker-like bass. i'm going to have to go against the torrent here and say that i disagree (or perhaps misunderstand what's being said here) since i have compared these to many other headphones and have never felt or heard any anomaly in the way they reproduce bass.

btw, how can you have slam and no body? i think that's pretty contradictory, to get slam you need body. an analogy would be to compare a feather and an anvil, what you're saying is that a feather is hitting you with high impact while the anvil isn't, if that makes sense to you. body in this case would be analogous to mass.

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think you guys need to hear the dt990s on my setup lol. the bass slam literally pushes my eardrums in if i turn it up loud on techno/rap songs. the bass is definitely better than the sf5eb's. the IEMs have more in-your-head-bass, and the dt990s have more speaker-like bass. i'm going to have to go against the torrent here and say that i disagree (or perhaps misunderstand what's being said here) since i have compared these to many other headphones and have never felt or heard any anomaly in the way they reproduce bass.

btw, how can you have slam and no body? i think that's pretty contradictory, to get slam you need body. an analogy would be to compare a feather and an anvil, what you're saying is that a feather is hitting you with high impact while the anvil isn't, if that makes sense to you. body in this case would be analogous to mass.

On my setup they moved a lot of air, and as said, it was like a big ball of air hitting my ear drums. I think HD650 produces the most natural and best bass with most body, The bass in D2000 is like the Dt990s ball but filled with water!!?
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 44
In my short time with the DT-880-250 (2005-2006 edition, non-pro), I would say the bass was a 4 or 5 out of 10 (10 being high).

So I switched to the DT-990-250 (2005-2006 edition, non-pro). It's bass is 7 or 8 out of 10. I'll leave the last two numbers for the DT-770s, which I haven't heard, but have read plenty about their bass-osity.

The more time I've spent with the DT-990s (over a year now), the more I realize that its mids are lacking. Maybe this results in the what the OP is describing. With the Headfive, I get a toned down treble and a bit more mids, which helps round out the sound, but I 've still noticed the deficiency.

This lead me to my recent upgrades of the Heed Canamp and HD-650s -- a more powerful amp and headphones known for their mids. I'm still evaluating the different combinations of sources, amps and cans. Early impressions aren't very favorable for my old setup.
frown.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 44
the mids are pushed back because of the V-curve frequency response, but that doesn't have anything to do with what the op is describing (bass not having body).

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 44
I also didnt find DT990 particularly powerfull in bass. Yes, it was boosted in amount, but it still was still rather powerless sounding in deeper regions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back