Dt990 pro or Sony MDR-MA900 or alternative?
Feb 15, 2015 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Blaalad12

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I've been looking for a pair of cans strictly for tv use / movies. Both the dt990s and Sony MDR-MA900 seem to get recommended alot and id love to give the Sony's a go. However, they are almost double the price of the dt990s so i reckon the dt990s are better value given that they are just over €100 and i can't afford to much more than that.

Here are my problems.... The sonys are a little out of my budget plus i can only find sellers in Japan and i want to buy within Europe.

The dt990s seem good value and are available here but they need amping and id rather unamped headphones. I do have an amp btw but it doesn't connect to the tv. I can connect it using a headphone to rca cable but it's not ideal.

Ideally iam looking for a good pair of cans that are good for movies... Good Soundstage etc Preferably open back but ill consider closed back (dt770 maybe) although the dt990s are seemingly better n cost the same. Also prefer a recommendation that doesn't require amping.

Any suggestions? Most important things are, comfort, easy to drive, good for movies and don't cost more then €200 / $250

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 2
Just thinking that maybe the dt770s are my best bet given that they are are as close to the dt990s as iam gonna get without amping and are said to have decent Soundstage for closed backs. Iam thinking closed backs night create more immersive experience also?

Also thought about the sennheiser rs 170 as they are seemingly good for tv/movies. They are the same price as the dt770s + extension cable. And would be ideal given that they are wireless but i assume wired would be better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back