DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2005 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,091

RedLeader

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got mine today, and I quite simply cannot stop listening to them. The high-end detail of my etys, with a low end comparable to my MS-1. I think that I have found my house sound gentlemen. It has been awhile coming, but these have stolen top spot in my "cans that kick @$$" list. They ARE power hungry though, and I need to get my amp back up and kicking, the Rev5.1 is having a tough time putting enough power into them, but they still sound awesome.

Dec 14, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 1,091
I went through two pairs, until I finally settled on the CD3000. They are definitely one of the best rock cans going. They have the classic V sound signature, which calls for lively music types. Overall, I was very satisfied with them, but constant upgrade-idis hit me!!
frown.gif

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 1,091
Thirded
biggrin.gif

I love the fact that they have an open sound yet have the low end power of a closed can. I was also impressed with their top end. In one of my favourite tracks, there are some cymbal hits that always came across to me, through different cans, as "tss-s tss-s tss-s". However, listening through the DT-990 revealed that the drummer was actually not even hitting the cymbal but running the drumstick over it in a cyclic manner. I could close my eyes and picture the exact motion of the drummer's hand over the cymbal
biggrin.gif
Some people say it's too harsh but I disagree. I think it really depends on what music you listen to.

Overall, I think anybody who listens to rock or electronic type music, and who amps them well, will be very happy with the 990.

Dec 14, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 1,091
Received my DT990s last week after pulling my hair out deciding between the 990 and the 880. The bass reports of the 990 were the deciding factor. Here are my findings after 50+ hours:

This cans absoloutely rock! Wide soundstage, lively, impactful bass but still controlled and not bloated like the HD650. The sound feels spacious, all around you rather than just at your ears.

With bass heavy electronic music it does very well. It keeps the bass away from everything else i.e. not intefering with the mids and highs.

Going to carry on with burn-in and a lot more listening and then I'll do some comparisions with the MS2i and HD650. Right now the DT990 would fit somewhere in the middle between the two in terms of sound signature.

Dec 14, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 1,091
I love my 990s as well. Lively and fun, but no problems with harshness or fatigue. Comfy too.

Redleader: I don't find it leaks much (at least not like a Grado), but it doesn't isolate much either. I can pretty clearly hear the TV or other sounds while listening to music at a low volume.

Dec 14, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 1,091
Another DT990 fan here.

Funny how often I end up reaching for the Beyers. They are best at nothing, but the compromise seems to work with a wide assortment of music. Given some beefy amplification, the DT990 can speak with surprising authority.
tongue.gif

BW

Dec 14, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 1,091
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehawk
I'm pretty much decided on some 990s - can you guys tell me how much it isolates & leaks sound? What inexpensive desktop amp would you recommend - I'm thinking about a Gilmore Light.

Yea, practically no isolation and the leak almost as bad as grados.

Dec 14, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 1,091
Hrm, do you think 770s would be a better option? I'd like to be able to use them at work. Anyone give a comparison between the two? I was headed towards the 770 originally but reading reviews of the 990 it sounded like a similar phone but with a bit better SQ and a little flatter response.

I listen to mostly rock and electronica. No jazz or classical for me.

Feb 12, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #11 of 1,091
I love DT990 pro's sound.
For under $150, they can be the greatest headphone value out there especially for rock.

The soundstage and the low-end power certainly tops my HD595. I just wish the voacls can sound as clear(bright?) as the HD595.

Will certainly keep them and probably sell the HD595
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 1,091
Anyone heard the new 2006 DT990's yet???? If they sounded like the DT880's with more bass I would be interested in having a listen!

Feb 12, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 1,091
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark
Anyone heard the new 2006 DT990's yet???? If they sounded like the DT880's with more bass I would be interested in having a listen!

I have some 2006 dt990's on order. I too want 880's plus more bass, so I am almost certainly setting myself up for some disappointment.

Feb 12, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 1,091
I used to own the 990 Pro's... and am tempted to try them again, despite the fact that for some reason, I just dont remember them sounding as good as the DT531!

I always remembered them having somewhat "thuddy" bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back