DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #676 of 1,091
You are correct. An amp will definitely help. I was trying to explain how they are just not that hard to drive. So a decent quality portable amp should do just fine. The dt990 pro and premium are very similar to each other comfort wise and sound wise from what ive read. It just has a slightly tighter clamping pressure, and a bit less refined sound with a bit more of that harsh treble depending on how you handle bright headphones than the 600ohm premium.

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #677 of 1,091
  Thanks for your response. The DT990 Premium is double the price of the Pro in the UK, so I don't I'll be paying that much of a price difference for comfort. Am I correct in thinking that not using an amp doesn't only affect volume, but the frequency range that can be played as well? Or is that a load of tosh? Because if I lost out on the low-frequency end because I didn't use an amp, I wouldn't be happy.

Frequency Range should be unchanged however how 'tight' things are may be affected depending on the damping power of what you are using. An external amp provides sufficient (or at least it should) dynamic headroom and damping exerting a tighter control on the drivers. If you listen to Bass heavy music and dub-step these phones will not disappoint - they have the highest bass presence of an open headphone that I have listened too. The pro version does clamp a little tight but the earpads are very comfy and the clamp pressure can be stretched and lessened a bit. 2 years in and  I listen to my 990's a lot. They are kept in my HT room with my tube amp and all my audio gear (AVR, Disc player, pc, media server )

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #679 of 1,091
I dont get any muddinness whatsoever. Its precise very deep and impactful. I think I read the premium 600ohm version doesnt have the muddy bass compared to the pro 250ohm though not sure about that. Depends on the amp some too I would imagine

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #681 of 1,091
I ordered my DT990 yesterday, should arrive tomorrow. :) But I still need a portable amp, what do you guys recommend as a good entry level protable amp to pair the DT990 with? Would the FiiO E11K be suitable? or would that be skimping out a little to much? :p

Ohh and one final question. Do you guys reckon it's worth it using a line out cable for my iphone like this?

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #682 of 1,091
I would recommend the Schiit Vali depending on budget (if you can afford something a little more I could recommend several choices that cost a little more) and whether or not you feel you will need an external DAC

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #686 of 1,091
Some questions- how is the bass compared to the beyer COP? No idea Could you recommend them to a basshead? Depends on the rest of his expectations Do they sound good for EDM? To me they do, but my expectations aren't necessarily similar Do I really need an amp? Yes, and a good one

Reply in bold. Good luck.

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #687 of 1,091
I have DT990 pro and yes they definitely need proper amping. They will play straught off a DAP or source but typically not very loud and muffled/subdued..

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #688 of 1,091
  Some questions- how is the bass compared to the beyer COP? Could you recommend them to a basshead? Do they sound good for EDM? Do I really need an amp?

The COP are closed headphones while the DT990 are open so the COP has more bass then the DT990 but suprisingly not by much. The mid bass is similiar, strong in both of them but the sub bass is better noticable on the COP. Even though the DT990 are open (most open cans have weak bass IMO) these cans can give you a lot of bass for what they are. Of course it depends on what you're gonna use them for.

For games and movies these are excelent, the open soundstage plus the clean sound that they have mixed with their strong mid bass is a great combo for immersive gaming. Some may say closed headphones are better for immersive gaming due to the stronger bass they present but IMO there's nothing better than playing something like a horror game or an RPG and being in a dungeon hearing sounds from diffrent directions and feeling like you're actually in the cave

Now if you're gonna use them mostly for music, they can be a hard choice due to the treble spike they have. EQ them will help a lot in that aspect. To be honest for classical music or things like that they are great but if you're more into electronic music and bassheavy things (since you're a basshead) you'll probably want something else. As I'm a basshead aswell I would recomend the SZ series since these have 55mm carbon diagram units JUST for bass. The SZ's are pretty much the high end for bass and cost around the same as the DT's but they are closed so forget about the soundstage. They also have a dark sound so I would recomend them for bass use ONLY.

Now about amping, they both NEED an amp, specially the DT990. So if you're not gonna get an amp than cross these off the list. If you're gonna get an amp for the DT990 I would recomend a tube amp since they help a lot with the treble spike and give a warmer sound making the experience even better. Along the amps I tested with these cans I would recomend the Schiit Vali. Good price for a tube amp with this kind of power. Fiio amps suprisingly work well too with the DT but I would still go with a tube amp. On the other hand don't go with bright amps like the Schiit Modi since these will make the DT's treble spike worse. The O2 amp is also a good choice although the 02 is a neutral solid state amp so no change in sound, only good for amping purposes.

In short if you're a cronic basshead and just want new headphones for bass I would go for something else, preferably closed headphones like the ones I recomended or something else around your budget, if not and want something that does a lot of things good like games and movies than these are great!

If you need info about anything else just ask 
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #689 of 1,091
FWIW - I use a project Sunrise II tube amp with my DT990 and it is a sweet combo - tames the treble peak like mentioned and also took off the small bit of sibilance I sometimes notice with SS amps.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #690 of 1,091
  The COP are closed headphones while the DT990 are open so the COP has more bass then the DT990 but suprisingly not by much. The mid bass is similiar, strong in both of them but the sub bass is better noticable on the COP. Even though the DT990 are open (most open cans have weak bass IMO) these cans can give you a lot of bass for what they are. Of course it depends on what you're gonna use them for.

For games and movies these are excelent, the open soundstage plus the clean sound that they have mixed with their strong mid bass is a great combo for immersive gaming. Some may say closed headphones are better for immersive gaming due to the stronger bass they present but IMO there's nothing better than playing something like a horror game or an RPG and being in a dungeon hearing sounds from diffrent directions and feeling like you're actually in the cave

Now if you're gonna use them mostly for music, they can be a hard choice due to the treble spike they have. EQ them will help a lot in that aspect. To be honest for classical music or things like that they are great but if you're more into electronic music and bassheavy things (since you're a basshead) you'll probably want something else. As I'm a basshead aswell I would recomend the SZ series since these have 55mm carbon diagram units JUST for bass. The SZ's are pretty much the high end for bass and cost around the same as the DT's but they are closed so forget about the soundstage. They also have a dark sound so I would recomend them for bass use ONLY.

Now about amping, they both NEED an amp, specially the DT990. So if you're not gonna get an amp than cross these off the list. If you're gonna get an amp for the DT990 I would recomend a tube amp since they help a lot with the treble spike and give a warmer sound making the experience even better. Along the amps I tested with these cans I would recomend the Schiit Vali. Good price for a tube amp with this kind of power. Fiio amps suprisingly work well too with the DT but I would still go with a tube amp. On the other hand don't go with bright amps like the Schiit Modi since these will make the DT's treble spike worse. The O2 amp is also a good choice although the 02 is a neutral solid state amp so no change in sound, only good for amping purposes.

In short if you're a cronic basshead and just want new headphones for bass I would go for something else, preferably closed headphones like the ones I recomended or something else around your budget, if not and want something that does a lot of things good like games and movies than these are great!

If you need info about anything else just ask 
biggrin.gif

Ok thanks, can you tell me exactly which headphones did you mean? I'm new to all of this so I know only a handful of headphone companies...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back