DT880s 250 ohms, amplifier for
May 19, 2015 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sylva1

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I am a composer mixing all my compositions on the computer. I write music in multiple genres, pop, jazz, classical and electronic. Recently I got the DT880s and want to mix-compare on multiple headphones and my near fields. The other phones are the MDR-7506s. However, I may also acquire other cans in the future. I need a headphones amplifier that will fulfill this need. I know that there are articles about the subject around this forum, but cannot search all of the pages because of my dial-up Internet access, which, of course, is slow.

So here's my question:

Is ART's HeadAmp4 good enough for the task, especially regarding, say, the rendition of a large symphony orchestra into the DT880s? Or, what about the Rolls HA243? Or, anything else worth mentioning in this price category?

All inputs here are welcome. Thanks.

Sylva.

May 21, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 5
Asr: Thank you for your reply. The Magni 2 has excellent specifications. With its 0.3 ohms output impedance it certainly belongs to the better amps out there. HOWEVER, if you read my inquiry carefully, you'll understand that I need multiple outputs on non-split (that is, separate op-amp) design. This is because, as my writing states, I have more than one pair of phones to enable comparison of sound during a complex process of mixing often times a symphony orchestra with a big band. This implies many tracks running at the same time. Therefore, clarity of instruments becomes of paramount importance, which implies permanent sound control between multiple cans and monitors. I am also looking into Presous' 4 output amp (at around $130). I know, these do not have the Magni's quality, but I don't have $400 to order four of them.

Thanks again, S.

May 21, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 5
Sorry, I'm not familiar at all with multi channel headphone amps. I just did a quick search though since you said you use dial-up (no offense but how are you still on dial-up in 2015?), and found out about a Livewire Solutions HA204 that might be able to work for your use and has some good user reviews on the Internet. It's sold at Guitar Center if a store is near you. I tried looking for its specs too but couldn't find anything online (including on the manufacturer's Web site). If you're able to find it at a store like Guitar Center though, I'm sure its specs would be on the box.

May 22, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 5

Asr, thank you again. I'll certainly take a look at the Livewire Solutions HA204. As for dial-up in 2015, well, it's a matter of money. I am a low income person, still working (fortunately) but around Washington rents are very high, even if one dwells in a studio apartment. I also need money for medicine, which is another appreciable chunk off of my income. So I need to be frugal. I can save money to buy equipment once in a while, but that's only a one time expenditure. To have broad band would mean to spend large amounts of money ALL THE TIME, which I cannot afford. Peace, S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back