DT880 - which version to get?
Jun 30, 2007 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

fishski13

Member of the Trade: SolderWorksAudio
yes, i used the search function, but it gave me no love.

so to all the all-knowing at head-fi: i'm looking for conclusive opinions (if there are any) about the sonic differences between the 250 and 600 ohm versions. auditioning is impossible.

links to other threads would be helpful as well.

here's the specs for my headline2 amp:
-------
Suitable for headphones
8 Ohms to 2 KOhms

Frequency response
-3dB @ 10Hz & 72kHz

Power output (into 8 Ohms)
560mW per channel

Max output voltage
3.7V rms into 2kOhms

Voltage gain
+13.5dB
-------
Thanks + PACE!

Jun 30, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 46
If you have a decent head amp, go get the 600 ohm version, however the 250 version can be satisfied by most of people.

Jun 30, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, i used the search function, but it gave me no love.

so to all the all-knowing at head-fi: i'm looking for conclusive opinions (if there are any) about the sonic differences between the 250 and 600 ohm versions. auditioning is impossible.

links to other threads would be helpful as well.

here's the specs for my headline2 amp:
-------
Suitable for headphones
8 Ohms to 2 KOhms

Frequency response
-3dB @ 10Hz & 72kHz

Power output (into 8 Ohms)
560mW per channel

Max output voltage
3.7V rms into 2kOhms

Voltage gain
+13.5dB
-------
Thanks + PACE!

If specs say suitable for 8ohms to 2ohms? That doesnt sound right to me.

Jun 30, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

If specs say suitable for 8ohms to 2ohms? That doesnt sound right to me.

note the "K" in front of "ohms" = 2Kohms

PACE

Jun 30, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 46
Quote:

get 250..

i haven't contacted Headroom yet, but on their website they only list the 250, and not the 600 ohm version. i wonder why?

PACE

Jun 30, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
note the "K" in front of "ohms" = 2Kohms

PACE

ahhhhhhhhH!!!! I see now.

In that case go for the 600ohm manufactures. I just got them and they are awesome!

Jul 1, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahhhhhhhhH!!!! I see now.

In that case go for the 600ohm manufactures. I just got them and they are awesome!

x2!

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why you all think that 600 ohm version sounds better?? 'Cause some guy bought it from manufacture for 2x price and overhyped it??

You know, it really is quite tiresome when some people who can't be bothered to try and audition different headphones out start bashing them because of their own ignorance. If you don't have something significant AND positive to contribute (that doesn't necessarily mean a positive review, it just means don't thread crap, which, in my opinion, is what you just did) then keep it to yourself. I don't know why that's so difficult for some people to manage. This isn't fanboyism, because I don't have the Beyerdynamic headphones, nor do I include them on my list of headphones that I have a desire to own.

They didn't just take a 250 ohm headphone and add 350 ohm resistors in series with them. They are higher because they have more turns of wire around the voice coil. This has been said to result in the superior control over the driver if you have a headphone amplifier which can handle the high voltage requirements placed by a 600ohm pair of headphones.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Why you all think that 600 ohm version sounds better?? 'Cause some guy bought it from manufacture for 2x price and overhyped it??

If you look at who suggested it (namely Skylab and trose49), their opinion is not based on hearsay, nor on what "some guy" posted. Both own 600 ohm versions (of both the DT880 and DT990 IIRC). Everything on this site is subjective opinions of course, but their impressions are trustworthy IMO and nothing to do with being overhyped.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, it really is quite tiresome when some people who can't be bothered to try and audition different headphones out start bashing them because of their own ignorance. If you don't have something significant AND positive to contribute (that doesn't necessarily mean a positive review, it just means don't thread crap, which, in my opinion, is what you just did) then keep it to yourself. I don't know why that's so difficult for some people to manage. This isn't fanboyism, because I don't have the Beyerdynamic headphones, nor do I include them on my list of headphones that I have a desire to own.

They didn't just take a 250 ohm headphone and add 350 ohm resistors in series with them. They are higher because they have more turns of wire around the voice coil. This has been said to result in the superior control over the driver if you have a headphone amplifier which can handle the high voltage requirements placed by a 600ohm pair of headphones.

The same should be said about recommending a product they have not heard.

Look at other beyers out there, the 80ohm version are said to have better SQ in some case.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clutz, i've asked a question, don't you saw the ??? after my sentences? Still, higher imp. and quantity of wire turns around the coil don't translate automatically into SQ.

If you had left your post as the first question alone, you wouldn't have raised my ire at all, but your second question:

Quote:

'Cause some guy bought it from manufacture for 2x price and overhyped it??

is inflamatory, and in fact not a question. You can add as many question marks to the end of a sentence as you want, but that in and of itself does not make the statement magically turn into a question. Clearly, you were attempting to make a statement about your belief in the value of the 600 ohm DT880s relative to that of the 250 ohm headphones. Where is the question in

Quote:

'Cause some guy bought it from manufacture for 2x price and overhyped it??

Hmm? I don't see a question there - I just see a statement with two question marks at the end. Again, I'm going to suggest if you have nothing to positive to contribute then you seriously consider contributing nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back