DT880 Vs. K701
Jan 6, 2007 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

MuseMan

100+ Head-Fier
Hello kind souls.

I currently own and use Sennheiser HD555's connected to a 15 year old Pioneer full-size CDP through a full-size Pioneer Amp. While I enjoy the sound, I have recently gained some spare cash and would like to upgrade.

I was and still am, interested in purchasing the K701's however after reading many informative threads I have begun to doubt whether I would notice an improvement in SQ compared to my current setup.

The DT880's have also captured my attention as I believe they are very similiar sounding to the K701's but much cheaper. Is this correct?

People have said that the bass is lean on the two prior cans mentioned
compared to the HD555's, is this true?

I can get the DT880'S for $50USD cheaper then the K701's.

Thanks.

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 29
DT880 is technically superior headphone than HD555, but soundsignature is so different that comparison isnt that simple. Bass quantity is a problem for some with DT880, but its there and quality is great.

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuseMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your reply.

I guess what I'm asking is, does the HD555 do anything BETTER then the DT880 or the K701?

I'm hoping it would not as it is alot cheaper!

no.

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuseMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess what I'm asking is, does the HD555 do anything BETTER then the DT880 or the K701?

yes

If price is a concern, there should be a bigger price difference between the old DT880 and K701 BTW.

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 29
As far as the sound quality of the DT880s (those are what I have at home), the sound quality feels like perfection. Granted these are my first higher-end headphones (not counting the bose triports as higher end), but I love the sound quality.

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 29
Something like this is so subjective.

I've got the K701's baby brother, the K601, and it is really close to the DT880, but it depends on what you like. The K601 has a LITTLE more bass impact, but it doesn't QUITE have the highs of the DT880. I have heard the K701 resolves highs really well, so if it has AT LEAST the bass of the K601, it sounds like it might be similar to the DT880.

You'll really never know until you test them yourself, unfortunately.

I can say that if you like clarity, depth, and good build quality, you really can't go wrong with the DT880. My only beef (and this is really nitpicky) is that there are some types of songs that, to my ears, are presented in an overly-bright manner by the DT880. In those cases, I need to turn down the volume a bit OR reach for the K601.

But again, you may have totally different ears than my own, and you may prefer certain sound signatures.

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes

If price is a concern, there should be a bigger price difference between the old DT880 and K701 BTW.

confused.gif

The question was if the 555 does anything better than 880 or 701.
Not about the difference between 880 and 701.

IMO there is no quality difference between DT880 (old) and K701.
They are soundwise quite similar, with subtle differences. DT880 seems to be a bit leaner (but not less extended!!!!) in the bass department and has a bit more emphasis on the highs.
K701 is a bit warmer and fuller sounding. Tonal balance is more even.
Both are neutral, not-in-your-face, polite, agreeable & hard on your amp. Both are not the ultimate rock phones, but very good all-round.
Both are at their best with classical and accoustic music.
The 2003 DT880 is extremely cheap for the quality you get.

Just my 2c.

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

The question was if the 555 does anything better than 880 or 701.

Indeed. Why are you confused?

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Because you said Yes, but not explaining what?

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 29
I see.
From my point of view, it's "no" that has to be explained and not "yes". In any case it has already been aptly explained in the first sentence of your first post in this thread. :)

EDIT: trolling aside... MuseMan, you would get better advice if you stated your musical tastes as well as what you like and don't like about your current setup.

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Because you did not say what it is the 555 do better, but instead went on about the price difference between 880 and 701.
I think you reacted to my minimalistic "no", but I really didn't know how to elaborate on a non-existing item.
I could maybe have mentioned that DT880 and K701 are more in the same league (quality wise) as the senn HD600/HD650 and that the 555 clearly doesn't make in there in any respect in my honest opinion, but that would not actually add any information to the initial "no" and might even lead to greater confusion, as the OP also contradicted himself in his post, saying he "hoped not for they (refering to the 555 I'm shure) are a lot cheaper"...,implicating the opposite of what I think he intended to say.
blink.gif
wink.gif

Still curious about what you think the 555 do better than the DT880 and K701 though....

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still curious about what you think the 555 do better than the DT880 and K701 though....

Aha! Bright stuff and stuff that sounds bad in general in my not so humble opinion. I know some people genuinely like them but, as for myself, some of the stuff I listen to is so awful that I'd rather listen to it on Senns. I can't comment on the K701 but the DT880 is too brutal to be an all-rounder for me.
My Senns of choice aren't the 555s but they're not bad by any means. I wouldn't mind using them for background music, movies, and such.

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #14 of 29
I have the more rocking version of the DT880, the DT990, and I can say that it's a great improvement over the HD555. Better detail, tighter bass, sparkling highs. When I switch back to the HD555, the Senn seems much darker, not as energetic, and definitely "veiled". It's awesome, and I'm underamping it with an old receiver (Sony ESD-1000). I don't know about the K701 or how much it can be found, but you can try and find the older 2003 DT880 for cheap (should be a minor step down from the new version). The only reason you wouldn't like it is if you either have mostly crap recorded music or if you're inclined to a dark sound.

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only reason you wouldn't like it is if you either have mostly crap recorded music or if you're inclined to a dark sound.

Bingo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back