dt880, is it for me?
Jun 24, 2008 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Al4x

Headphoneus Supremus
having posted a little bit ago about trying to find a headphone for me the dt880 has come up a few times, so i was wondering if people would say wether its a good or bad idea, ie suggestions

also its a high resistance phone and i have no amp, so i was also wondering what amp i would need to look into getting, as i guess ill need one!
if i dont get responses on the amp question ill separate it into the amp forum.

im after something for nightwish and the like music and want it to be good,

seeing as the phones seem quite cheap getting an amp wouldnt be too much of a problem

thanks

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 23
I think they sound pretty good out of SS amps as well. The 250 ohm ones aren't that difficult to drive. They sound decent out of my XM4. I am running the XM4 with a wall wart instead of a battery.

They don't really get a lot of head time though. I enjoy the signature of my orthos, stats, and a few other dynamic headphones better. They don't have the transient response of the stats or orthos, and I prefer less bass with dynamic headphones.

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they sound pretty good out of SS amps as well. The 250 ohm ones aren't that difficult to drive. They sound decent out of my XM4. I am running the XM4 with a wall wart instead of a battery.

They don't really get a lot of head time though. I enjoy the signature of my orthos, stats, and a few other dynamic headphones better. They don't have the transient response of the stats or orthos, and I prefer less bass with dynamic headphones.

what does their bass sound like? cause i dont like the denons bass

would you personally reccomend these or something else?

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 23
I've never heard the Denons so I can't compare. The DT880 are my heaviest bass headphones. It's very punchy and can have a tactile feel occasionally. The mids are still decent, although not as good as AKGs. I am not a bass head and prefer a leaner bass for most of what I listen to. I like the AKGs more because I like the leaner bass. Really, the DT880 doesn't have any glaring faults and it's the most comfortable headphone I own.

Keep in mind that my listening habits are very different than yours. Your 90% is about 1% for me and that's mostly electronica. Electronica does sound very nice with the DT880, but I think it sounds very nice from the K401 as well.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard the Denons so I can't compare. The DT880 are my heaviest bass headphones. It's very punchy and can have a tactile feel occasionally. The mids are still decent, although not as good as AKGs. I am not a bass head and prefer a leaner bass for most of what I listen to. I like the AKGs more because I like the leaner bass. Really, the DT880 doesn't have any glaring faults and it's the most comfortable headphone I own.

Keep in mind that my listening habits are very different than yours. Your 90% is about 1% for me and that's mostly electronica. Electronica does sound very nice with the DT880, but I think it sounds very nice from the K401 as well.

well the sound that im after is for only symphonic metal, so wide sounstage, classical style instrumentals with electric guitars and drums and opratic vocals so bass, for me also is not something i want much of

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the sound that im after is for only symphonic metal, so wide sounstage, classical style instrumentals with electric guitars and drums and opratic vocals so bass, for me also is not something i want much of

AKGs K(45)0(01) might be a better bet. They have better sound stage and less bass.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 23
Bass quantity isnt something you should worry about with DT880. Overall its quantity is same as in SA5000, but less impactive. Its almost perfectly flat and in nice balance with midrange. Its noticeably less strong than DT770, and if Denons are anything like DT770...

=651]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=651
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/dt880_f.gif

But no one can tell you if that headphone is for you, you have to try it yourself. All I can say that DT880 isnt known for its bass quantity.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 23
do you really like the sa5000s maza? they do seem good

hmm,
so ive got to look into the dt880s, akgs k5/4 series and the sa5000 lol

edt, maybe the akgs would be too bass light thinking about it

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 23
Ah, I thought you had SA5000 already, but then noticed your color coding in the sig.
tongue.gif
So my comparison wasnt well aimed.

But anyway, I'm currently listening to my SA5000. Actually it has been almost only headphone I have been listening lately. I havent felt the need to switch for different music, it does so many things right for my tastes anyway. More soundstange size would be welcome, but it isnt bad either.

But read these for more impressions of both new and old DT880, and there are a lot of reviews around headfi and interent in general if you search around. It isnt exactly unknown headphone around here, it used to be very popular actually before K701 got more following.

Headphone Reviews :: Beyerdynamic DT880 (2005)
Headphone Reviews :: Beyerdynamic DT880

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 23
I'm listening to Dead Boy's Poem through my DT880s right now, and I think it sounds pretty nice. The DT880 aren't "bass head" phones, they won't slam you around. What they will do though, is give you very clean, articulate bass. Now, I'm only powering them through a CMoy, so a better amp would most likely give better results. I've heard that they have great synergy with the Millett Hybrid MAX amp, which I will be building in the near future.

Ok, just put on Fantasmic, and the harpsichord in the intro sounds awesome. The sound stage is open; the guitars, drums, harpsichord, , flute, and vocals are well seperated with great positioning. The flute section is particularly impressive.

I'm sorry that I can't really give you a comparison to other phones (other than Sony EX51...), as these are my first serious phones. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #14 of 23
well seeing as i need an amp, as i have none grr they seem a decent price probably will have to go with them + an amp, and if they are better sell the d2000

any other comments welcome, and wanted!

otherwise, off to the amp section...

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass quantity isnt something you should worry about with DT880. Overall its quantity is same as in SA5000, but less impactive. Its almost perfectly flat and in nice balance with midrange. Its noticeably less strong than DT770, and if Denons are anything like DT770...

=651]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=651
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/dt880_f.gif

But no one can tell you if that headphone is for you, you have to try it yourself. All I can say that DT880 isnt known for its bass quantity.

I think they're not know for bass quality only with bass heads. Bass impact doesn't equal quality, at least not IMO. I wouldn't want a more impactful headphone than the DT880.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edt, maybe the akgs would be too bass light thinking about it

They're too light for a lot of people. You should try to get to a meet this summer. At a good sized meet, you should be able to compare the DT880 and AKGs. I don't know how common the Sonys are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back