DT880 - How to tell which OHM version you have?
Jan 17, 2011 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

i_love_hina

100+ Head-Fier
So recently I was curious and plugged in my 250ohm DT880 into my iPod shuffle.  To my surprise, it could get fairly loud.  Did I get shafted?  I've been told for 250ohms an amp is required, does this mean mine is actually 32 ohms? 

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 3
No need to worry OP, your Beyers are indeed the 250 Ohm version.  Your case is not too unique as others have reported that their high impedence 'phones can get to listenable levels out of their portable players. Heck, one guy reported he could play his Sennheiser HD650 straight from his ipod and that is a 'phone with a 300 Ohm impedence!  Other factors including impedence determine the difficulty of driving headphones, things like driver size, sensitivity, wire quality, rated power handling etc.  Your headphones will probably still benefit from some amplification though.

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
No need to worry OP, your Beyers are indeed the 250 Ohm version.  Your case is not too unique as others have reported that their high impedence 'phones can get to listenable levels out of their portable players. Heck, one guy reported he could play his Sennheiser HD650 straight from his ipod and that is a 'phone with a 300 Ohm impedence!  Other factors including impedence determine the difficulty of driving headphones, things like driver size, sensitivity, wire quality, rated power handling etc.  Your headphones will probably still benefit from some amplification though.

it spikes up to 600 in the bass frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back