DT880 detail
Jul 6, 2008 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

anoobis

500+ Head-Fier
Apologies in advance, this is another 'I want to compare two HP that no-one else will have' threads :)

There are plenty of posts extolling the virtues of the detail of the Beyer DT880. I'm trying to get a flavour for what this means. I do not know anywhere locally where I can try them, otherwise I would.

For reference, detailed cans I've heard are DT931 and HD600. There's some confusion as to whether the 600 is less detailed than other cans (880, AKG701) or whether it has a fuller sound, which doesn't so much mask the details as not accentuate them.

If anyone _has_ compared the DT931 with the DT880 (esp. in terms of detail) I'd be very interested to hear the result.

The other question I had is, at this level, is the difference in detail as much to do with amping as it is with the HP themselves?

Looking forward to some responses.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoXter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only the K701 in this group provides some more details. DT880/HD600/DT931 are rather on the same level.

K701 is slightly less detailed than DT880. Not sure about DT931, they are not that popular here. And DT880 articulates details more than Senns, recabled properly driven Senns might have the same level only less accentuated.

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 100
I often wonder if what audiophiles call more "detailed" is simply brighter. HD600s, given decent amplification and a good, detailed recording to reproduce, don't miss anything much worth hearing.

Tim

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 100
I could never hear more details out of a K701. If I think about it severely, there are not many cans existant that provide more details than a DT880 - and even these (Stax, W5K, CD3000) only scratch along beating it in respect of details.

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 100
I think you are on to something here...many audiophiles equal high frequency response with detail and low frequency response as mud. Them audiophiles expect tight, less than accurate bass and extremely brittle high-end. Then they call that "flat". Makes me laugh everytime !

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I often wonder if what audiophiles call more "detailed" is simply brighter.

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are on to something here...many audiophiles equal high frequency response with detail and low frequency response as mud. Them audiophiles expect tight, less than accurate bass and extremely brittle high-end. Then they call that "flat". Makes me laugh everytime !

x2

This has been my observation too.
When the emphasis is on the bass they say is not "neutral" and when a significant amount of bass is missing, they said its "neutral" or "flat" and most annoying of all, they say "accurate".
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

With regards to the original question, yes, I agree with what some are saying here, DT880 are very detailed and a well amped HD600 can be just as detailed. However I think DT880 shows more details right off the bat if both of them (hd600 and dt880) were used with mediocre amps/sources. Also, the laid back nature of the Senns tend to not shove the details in your face like the DT880s do. The DT880s tend to sound more detailed because they have faster decay and IMHO better separation. I see the Senns as very fluid and flowy while the Beyers are like analytical and straight to the point.

Something like Senns are Mercedes Benz while the Beyers are like BMW.

I like the way the DT880 feeds you the deatails, it forces you to take notice. I like that. I also like BMW.
biggrin.gif

Ok, I realize I may be talking absolute nonsense, its 3.30am here, waaay past my bedtime. So yeah, take what i said FWIW. I may come back tmrw to clarify my points...
redface.gif

----------------
Now playing: Cd2 - [CR2 Presents Live & Direct Ibiza 2008 #02] Night Mix [foobar2000 v0.9.4.4]
via FoxyTunes

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like the way the DT880 feeds you the deatails, it forces you to take notice. I like that. I also like BMW.
biggrin.gif

If you knew the average BMW driver in its home country, you'd propably choose different brands as analogy!
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 100
Quote:

Ok, I realize I may be talking absolute nonsense, its 3.30am here, waaay past my bedtime. So yeah, take what i said FWIW. I may come back tmrw to clarify my points...

Actually, that works for me just fine. Or maybe Mercedes vs. Porsche. Most of the time, especially on long trips, I'd rather ride in the sweet comfort of the big Benz. But sometimes you just want to go fast into tight corners....

Tim

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could never hear more details out of a K701. If I think about it severely, there are not many cans existant that provide more details than a DT880 - and even these (Stax, W5K, CD3000) only scratch along beating it in respect of details.

K1000 and JVC DX1000.

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is certainly not true for audiophiles like me who listen to classical music.

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K1000 and JVC DX1000.

K1000 isn't a headphone IMO. Near field monitors don't count.
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is certainly not true for audiophiles like me who listen to classical music.

Well, I don't think I'm really an audiophile, but for many years now, I've found that when someone says a speaker, headphone, amp, etc, is "good for classical," I tend to like it for everything. Even classical.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back