DT880 600ohm BS
Apr 15, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #331 of 357
This is a great article on Tyll's new site:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Discuss. :D

That's what they are doing, see post #302.

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #332 of 357
He was being snarky
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #333 of 357
hey guys, thank you for this thread. I'm new to this forum and new to everything else headphone related. Though this is a very informative thread I'm very illiterate when it comes to the language of head-fiers, and would need it broken down barney style. What was the conclusion of this thread? Is there a big difference between the 250ohm and the 600ohm? What are the advantages of getting the 250 over the 600 vice versa? Pros/Cons

I've already got the 250, I purchased it two days ago but I'm having doubts and feel the need to get the 600ohm...

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #334 of 357
The only definite conclusion so far is that the 32Ω version is not recommended.

The 600Ω version has technical reasons for being better, though it needs the volume knob to be turned up higher to reach the same loudness. (MP3 players will not be able to reach that level without an external amp.)

But there is no consensus on whether 600Ω version actually sounds better than the 250Ω one. It may have technical superiority, but can we actually hear the difference without first knowing which one is which? Some have compared the two versions and found that they sounded identical. Others prefer the 600Ω version. Yet others prefer the 250Ω version. 

One possibility is random variation in the manufacturing process. Even two 250Ω versions may sound a little different from each other, especially if they were made in different years. So maybe if you like the 600Ω and not the 250Ω, it could be because the 600Ω you tried was made in 2007 and the 250Ω was made in 2006 (just a hypothetical example pulled out of thin air).

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #335 of 357
That's basically it.

I think money is an important factor as well.The 250 and 600 are usually about the same price but the 600 has higher resale value since 'common knowledge' around here is that the 600 is better. That may factor into your decision as well.

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #336 of 357
On a high gain amp, it might simply be easier to control the volume with the 600 ohm version. There's also the "benefit" of the higher impedance knocking out some of the noise floor.

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #337 of 357
So I stayed up because I couldn't stop reading this thread.  I have to go with the OP here, the 880 series sound the same.  Glad I got the 990 so I can still say my 600 ohm version is the best. (Just poking fun.)  Damned addicting read though.

All said and done, I think I may take the /600 out of my sig. (Not poking fun.)

And I agree with OP on one other thing he mentioned, about the hard headedness of some of the folk in this thread reminds him of the creationist vs the evolutionist. Those damned Darwinist have no proof at all. (I am laughing now!)

May 2, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #338 of 357
However if there's too much current going through the earphone / headphone due to it's high sensitivity, it will hiss, resulting in a higher noise floor. An impedance adapter increases the resistance thus reduces the hiss and in turn lower noise floor and thus sounding better.

May 5, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #339 of 357
^Can you expand on that?  Or have a link that goes in detail?  I feel like the explaination is missing crucial details.  

May 6, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #340 of 357

Quote:
For IEMs(or headphone), the output impedance should ideally be 0.  So I don't buy impedance adaptor on ER4p making it sound any better.

This is completely false.  The ER4 was designed and tuned with the extra impedance.  The ER4S and ER4B are the original designs.  The ER4P was designed as an after thought to be accommodate the iPod explosion.  They just stripped off the extra impedance to play nice with underpowered handheld devices.  The result to my ears is boomier low end (at least for an Ety) and sharper shrillier highs.  I can't stand the P for more than 15 minutes.  I can go all day w/ the ER4S no problem.  The adapter was not designed as a marketing gimmick for audiophiles, it was the original design. 

May 6, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #341 of 357
^Actually, it should be called a resistor adaptor.  It has real part of impedance, which is resistance.  All it is, is a couple of resistors in series.  So you are saying that what improves the sound to your, ok whatever.  I actually have the impedance adaptor, and it should pretty much limit the current going through the headphones.  

Its like this, headphones have impedance since it needs to be driven, then you attach couple resistors.
rolleyes.gif
  To limit current going to the heaphones.  Ideally, there would be an impedance match(complex, not just a resistor since the transducer is a complex no real like a resistor) to the headphones to be most optimally electrically  I call it placebo, but you can call it SQ boost if you want Anaxilus. Why don't I get beyer 32ohm and just add 568ohm resistors to it, and call it a 600ohm heaphone and talk about how much SQ boost I get.  The 600 ohm is at a frequency where real resistance is maxed I believe, and its all from the windings of the coil, not a resistor.  So, I don't think you understand what an impedance adaptor really is and does.

May 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #342 of 357
It changes the FR because the impedance of the transducer isn't the same over all frequencies.  It simple math, not magic.

May 7, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #343 of 357

Quote:
It changes the FR because the impedance of the transducer isn't the same over all frequencies.  It simple math, not magic.

Exactly.  

Quote:
^Actually, it should be called a resistor adaptor.  It has real part of impedance, which is resistance.  All it is, is a couple of resistors in series.  So you are saying that what improves the sound to your, ok whatever.  I actually have the impedance adaptor, and it should pretty much limit the current going through the headphones.  

Its like this, headphones have impedance since it needs to be driven, then you attach couple resistors.
rolleyes.gif
  To limit current going to the heaphones.  Ideally, there would be an impedance match(complex, not just a resistor since the transducer is a complex no real like a resistor) to the headphones to be most optimally electrically  I call it placebo, but you can call it SQ boost if you want Anaxilus. Why don't I get beyer 32ohm and just add 568ohm resistors to it, and call it a 600ohm heaphone and talk about how much SQ boost I get.  The 600 ohm is at a frequency where real resistance is maxed I believe, and its all from the windings of the coil, not a resistor.  So, I don't think you understand what an impedance adaptor really is and does.

I'm not talking about the Beyers since I have never heard the 880 series.  With the ER4S this is easily confirmed if someone actually takes the time to listen w/ their ears and A/B versus the P rather than hypothesize and claim omniscience making random 'placebo' accusations.  What you call 'boost' actually happens by removing the impedance from the ER4S not the other way around.  Of course you could look at a FR chart if you like and then just come back and say the differences are inaudible or some error was introduced between measurements.  Par for the course around here.

Plus I don't welcome your snide claim of my ignorance about adaptors especially from someone going around pouting and trolling threads.  Let's go back to pretending we don't exist in each others universe.  Thanks.   

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #344 of 357
May I know which is the best portable headphone amp to pair with DT880/600Ohm Premium as listed below:

1) JBL C421
2) JBL Objective 2
3) Epiphany EHP-O2

Basically this amp will unleash the full potential of sound in DT880/600Ohm Premium.

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #345 of 357
Quote:
May I know which is the best portable headphone amp to pair with DT880/600Ohm Premium as listed below:

The two O2's are basically the same, so you can choose whichever you like more or costs less. These would drive your headphones fine on AC power, and to a decently high level even on batteries. I do not know enough about the C421, unfortunately no power specs, schematics, or other technical information is available about it. The O2 would be a safe choice in terms of audio performance, but the C421 is smaller and more portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back