DT880: -03 with Cardas vs. -06 with stock
Oct 1, 2006 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fozi

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I have tried the -03 with stock cable as well the new -06. There was some time between those two try-outs, but mainly it seemed that there was quite small differences, if anything at all. Maybe the lower-end was a bit stronger with -06. But with Cardas The Cable I have no experience with neither of them.

Now I have a quite rare opportunity. I've found a -03 model with Cardas cable upgrade. The phones are six months old. The friendly seller wants 250€ for them. With that price I would get also a new pair of -06s, with stock cable of course. Considering, that the -03 have cost 188€ and the Cardas cable 250€, it would seem like a bargain. The cable is 4m long and it has been installed by a Cardas inport company. The wireing in the phones are also Cardas's. Sadly I don't have the opportunity to listen the Cardas version for the seller lives far away.

So, a simple (and maybe very stupid also) question: which one would you pick?

PS. For motivation take a good look of the picture. It's not from the exact "unit" thought, the one I'm considering to buy has Cardas's blue wireing in the phones.

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 9
Anybody out there?
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 9
Yea...errr...ehm...*BUMP*

Oct 2, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 9
Sounds like a good deal to me. Just not sure the Cardas would be my choice for a recable. On the Senn 650 it improves clarity, good, improves staging, good, improved bass control, good, but reduces overall bass level... bad. On the Senn 650 that fault is another plus but on the Beyer it might make a dry headphone overly dry.

All guesses though. At that price you really have nothing to lose.

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fozi
Hi there,
I have tried the -03 with stock cable as well the new -06. There was some time between those two try-outs, but mainly it seemed that there was quite small differences, if anything at all. Maybe the lower-end was a bit stronger with -06. But with Cardas The Cable I have no experience with neither of them.
Now I have a quite rare opportunity. I've found a -03 model with Cardas cable upgrade. The phones are six months old. The friendly seller wants 250€ for them. With that price I would get also a new pair of -06s, with stock cable of course. Considering, that the -03 have cost 188€ and the Cardas cable 250€, it would seem like a bargain. The cable is 4m long and it has been installed by a Cardas inport company. The wireing in the phones are also Cardas's. Sadly I don't have the opportunity to listen the Cardas version for the seller lives far away.
So, a simple (and maybe very stupid also) question: which one would you pick?

for the price you have little to lose. try the recabled '03 and see if you like it. then try to compare it to the new version. if you don't find that it's quite what you're looking for, do what so many on these forums do and sell it and try something else. obviously the recabled one is rarer, and the new one is easy to obtain so that's a further reason to go for it.
cool.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 9
I don't have experience with Cardas, but one of my pairs (2003) 880's is recabled with silver-plated copper, the other is stock. (I'd let you listen to them but it's kind of a long drive) The improvement in SQ is not huge, but noticeable (and those phones render both old and new jazz and rock really beautifully). I would say go for it, and post a review, since I'm considering Cardas for the other pair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back