DT770 Sibilance starting to drive me crazy
Dec 26, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #16 of 28
Beyer's are almost always harsher on the uppers. Usually the 770's are the exception, but the 80ohm version of the 770's seems to still have harsher treble. I would recommend trying different headphones before starting to upgrade the source.

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyer's are almost always harsher on the uppers. Usually the 770's are the exception, but the 80ohm version of the 770's seems to still have harsher treble. I would recommend trying different headphones before starting to upgrade the source.

I probably would too. Changing source/amp wont make as big a difference as new headphones, I just figured it was worth mentioning.

For the record, I also found that the bass tightenned a little when I got a better source (it has some texture now). But it's still a fairly low quality headphone in the grand scheme of audiophilia.

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #18 of 28
Hi,

Late post, whatever. I own these cans, source 100% dictates what they will produce, they are INSANELY fickle as to what file format you play them from, etc. The sibilance can be TERRIBLE, but only if you play crappy music files, otherwise it comes in clear as the sun will shun your eyes from direct contact. If you're using a macbook pro or something similar for a source good luck, it will sound like absolute crap, 770's will hurt you for running music through that. Good source and 770's actually sound pretty well, clear highs and insane bass, no mids, obviously. That's my 2 cents, however late it may be.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #19 of 28
Agree that sibilance was one my major gripes about DT770 Pro/80 but highs could be EQ'd down to more gentle levels to minimize it, did you do that? EQ is your friend.

BTW, you bumped an old thread, how do people manage to do that. :p Do you actually use "search" to find such threads and then post in it? A proof in that case at least some ppl use "search" button. ^^

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #20 of 28
Hey,

Yeah I always have my hands on the EQ for these cans! They are very extreme in both high and low frequencies, but I still love them, especially for the cost. I don't really know how I bumped this, I just sort of stumbled upon this site, and posted. I wish I could help you more.

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
Sorry to bring up an old thread but is this "sibilant" sound a slight static? It doesn't seem to happen in every song.

A quick copy paste from Audio K.

Sibilance is the noise that is associated with the vocal pronunciation of "s" "sch" or "ch" and other words with syllables that have the same characteristics. The phrase "Sally sells seashells by the seashore" would emphasize sibilance.

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #22 of 28
BUY THE SR 325IS

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #23 of 28
Haha, just got e-mails that I received a lot of responses to this old thread. The sibilance has actually faded with time, and I haven't even changed source or anything else. They still sound amazing from my MacBook Pro, even from an iPhone. I'm still planning on getting a DAC/Amp in a few months. I want to see what these headphones are really capable of. But the sibilance did fade, which makes me very happy I stuck with these :)

I'm in med school now, and the isolation on these headphones (with the gel pads) are phenomenal. About to finish up my second year, then going to purchase a decent DAC/amp. Any recommendations on the cheaper end? I'm looking to spend under $250 (solid state preferred for these).

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #24 of 28
Try the uDAC 2 about 100$ and apparently*from a trusted source at 32ohm audio* they can power almost anything and do it well.

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #25 of 28
I have the DT770 Pro 80ohm cans with JMoney lambskin pads and paired up with littledot mkV. All I can say is that they sound awesome. Both the earpads and the amp reduced the sibilance and now with approx. 250h on them they have got rid of it. Not entirely though, still sometimes when listening the treble is pretty fatiguing and has a little bit of sibilance but not nearly as much as when I got them.

If you haven't already got an ampn I'd suggest you look for mkV cause it circles around there somewhere near you budget if you aren't afraid of buying a burned-in one.

May 14, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #27 of 28

Quote:
Parametric equalization solves all sibilance-related problems when done right, it's a non-issue.

What frequencies would you reduce? I'm curious about this, I also use a parametric EQ.

May 14, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #28 of 28
+1 for EQing, I also thought DT770 Pro was too bright sounding and lowered 8kHz and 16kHz on my 10-band EQ as well as boosting 250Hz - 4kHz range:

I would try with EQ settings looking something like this (remember the actual values how big peaks and dips there should be is invidual to the EQ used and has to be tested as +3dB on the EQ might not mean +3dB increase in reality for example, but the relevant thing is the shape, which frequencies are lower or higher compared to each other):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back