DT770 Sibilance starting to drive me crazy
Sep 8, 2009 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Sovelin

100+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased the DT770 pro 80 ohm because I am a basshead. The headphones do not disappoint, and they are more fun for gaming than any headphone I have tried. When I'm listening to music, however, the sibilance issue has started getting on my nerves, and I'm noticing it more and more (burned in for 72 hours now).

My question is, does it get any better? Or if I purchase the Zero DAC with the Moon HDAM, will that help out? I've heard it widens the soundstage, but what I'm more concerned about is that damned sib.

Oh, my source at the moment for music is my MacBook Pro.

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 28
When I first bought my DT770 80ohm, I thought they were broken because of the horrible sibilance. Yes, they will get better (in terms of amount of sibilance). However, a recable will also help in this regard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovelin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently purchased the DT770 pro 80 ohm because I am a basshead. The headphones do not disappoint, and they are more fun for gaming than any headphone I have tried. When I'm listening to music, however, the sibilance issue has started getting on my nerves, and I'm noticing it more and more (burned in for 72 hours now).

My question is, does it get any better? Or if I purchase the Zero DAC with the Moon HDAM, will that help out? I've heard it widens the soundstage, but what I'm more concerned about is that damned sib.

Oh, my source at the moment for music is my MacBook Pro.

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I first bought my DT770 80ohm, I thought they were broken because of the horrible sibilance. Yes, they will get better (in terms of amount of sibilance). However, a recable will also help in this regard.

Is it a significant improvement? I'm just wondering if the improvement is enough to justify the cost of the recabling, vs. purchasing the Zero with Moon.

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Is it a significant improvement? I'm just wondering if the improvement is enough to justify the cost of the recabling, vs. purchasing the Zero with Moon.

I don't think an amp will help. Just let it burn in a couple hundred hours and see what happens. You can always get a different pair of cans. I personally couldn't handle the boomy bass on the DT770 in the end so sold them as well as the Darth Beyers I had.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 28
frown.gif
The Denon 2000 were my second choice, but I really liked the bass of these. Will a Zero DAC/Amp make any difference at all? And if the recabling doesn't reduce sibilance, what does it do?

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 28
Re-cabling, modding, plugging into different equipment may deal with sibilance.

It's good that you want to keep using your DT770. Instead of just trying different things, I suggest this. Start a new thread titled something like, "Roll Call: What is your DT770 Pro / 80 Plugged In To?" And then ask in your first post for comments on whether they experience sibilance with their rig. Then consider trying to duplicate the success of others.

Quote:

frown.gif
The Denon 2000 were my second choice, but I really liked the bass of these. Will a Zero DAC/Amp make any difference at all? And if the recabling doesn't reduce sibilance, what does it do?

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re-cabling, modding, plugging into different equipment may deal with sibilance.

It's good that you want to keep using your DT770. Instead of just trying different things, I suggest this. Start a new thread titled something like, "Roll Call: What is your DT770 Pro / 80 Plugged In To?" And then ask in your first post for comments on whether they experience sibilance with their rig. Then consider trying to duplicate the success of others.

Great idea. I think I will do just that. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 28
Have you thought about going with something like the Sennheiser HD-650 for music? They have a good deal of bass and a far smoother presentation.

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #11 of 28
The HD650 is about as smooth as it gets (if that's what you want). But the OP doesn't appear to have the amplification to justify buying the HD650.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you thought about going with something like the Sennheiser HD-650 for music? They have a good deal of bass and a far smoother presentation.

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #12 of 28
the DT770 is sibilant to death(the Pro version is even worse than the Premium), not much to be done against that...recabling might kill the trebles frequency response if used w/ the right wire, but not kill the crazily sibilant trebles.

you can try to dampen the cups, it will improve drastically...but don't expect miracles.

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #15 of 28
I don't find the 770pro sibilant at all from a dacmagic to tubes.
Just as a bit of a side note, I find them to be very slow and sibilant when they are amped poorly (for instance out of my STX). I found the consumer/premium 770 to be sibilant, but I expect that was more a side-effect of the brightness which is largely blanketed on the pro

Horses for courses, of course.

@ the other question: Slight static is generally more a problem to do with noise (from inside your computer), or a bad rip moreso than a bad recording and even moreso than the headphones. Sibilance in this game is more of an "SS" sound to cymbals etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back