DT770 pro vs DT150 vs Yamaha HPH-MT220
Jun 1, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 8
From what I've heard, the DT150 should outshine the other two by a fair margin in terms of balance, soundstage and overall SQ.
I've so far read nothing but positive reviews about them, and if you don't like the stock pleather pads it seems that you can replace them with velour pads meant for the D100.
Again, this is based only on reviews I've read, but I'm pretty confident you will not be disappointed.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 8
Hey - 'Fraid I can't help on the Yamaha side of things but I do have a DT770, 80 ohm and a DT150 to hand. They're both extremely comfortable and robust cans. The aesthetics speak for themselves - you like the utilitarian vibe, or you don't.  Both probably need some decent amping - the 150 especially. Sound wise the 150 presents a very even handed and natural sound - much like listening to a good stereo. The 770 has a big, slightly undefined bass and a typical Beyer treble spike around 10khz. It's U-shaped more than V-shaped though - it's quite a cool, analytical sound. The 150 is a touch warmer and definitely more about the mids. It still has a big bass though, maybe a touch too much, but it's tighter and the whole can sounds cleaner to my ears. If you're coming from other Beyers (880, 990 etc.) or something bright like a K701 you might find the 150 treble a bit lacking. It's all there though, I think. You might have guessed my preference is for the 150. I do like the 770 though! Hope that helps.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks guys so the 150 is not flat or analytical sounding? how about the DT250, I am looking for a flat sound as possible for mixing/mastering audio purpose for under $200

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm afraid I'm not really knowledgable about the demands of mixing and mastering. 
In general terms though - flat, analytical, neutral, balanced - these are all are definitions that are seemingly still in flux in the headphone world. This article might help explain why:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurement-proceedures-frequency-response 
Good luck!

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #7 of 8
both MT220 and DT150 are more refined than dt770 imo. DT150 is more warmer neutral to my ears with a stellar warmer midrange and mt220 is the more balanced / more neutral can to my ears, which has a neutral midrange and excellent bass extension with more faster linear  presentation. mt220 is more brighter than dt150, while dt150 has more relaxed treble. I personally prefer MT220, but technically I believe DT150 edges out slightly due to ungrainy presentation, superb stereo imagine and stellar midrange but note dt150 requires really good amp/dac to shine, mt220 also requires good amp/dac but I believe dt150 is more picky among all.  I personally didn't like DT770's V shaped signature and treble and bass was boosted too much for my preference.

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 8
Always seemed odd to me that Beyer have these well balanced cans, like the 150 and 250, that no-ones heard of. The 'Beyer sound', as heard in the 770, 880, 990 and various Tesla models, is so unforgiving and to my ears somewhat unnatural. With headphones like the Nad HP50 and the new Focals proving reasonably popular it'd be nice to see Beyer do something more natural sounding. (my two cents)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back