DT770: possible to tighten earcup adjustment mechanisms?
Apr 28, 2017 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Special K

New Head-Fier
Is it possible to tighten the left/right adjustment mechanisms on a pair of DT770s such that more pressure is required to move the earcups up or down a notch? They seem to require very little pressure to adjust compared to other headphones I've used, which causes me to have to readjust them due to accidentally moving the cups up a notch.

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 6
If you are using all-grey DT770 premium, yeah, the premium versions of DT770 / 880 / 990 are very loose like that. Pro versions fit better and don't slide as easily. It is pretty easy to replace those adjustment blocks.

Pro version won't have the nice-looking metal tabs that stick out, though: http://www.productionwisdom.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/3-1.jpg
You can buy the parts from Beyerdynamic directly.

Alternatively, take the blocks apart then add a thin coat (or more) of super glue to the insides of the clips that you will see holding onto the metal arms (two smallest pieces on the bottom of this picture):
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.c...9b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/9/0/900982_1_1.png

Doing so will make the clips get a tighter grip and adjustment will require a bit more force. You'll end up wearing out the glue given enough time and use, though.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 6
If you are using all-grey DT770 premium, yeah, the premium versions of DT770 / 880 / 990 are very loose like that. Pro versions fit better and don't slide as easily. It is pretty easy to replace those adjustment blocks.

Pro version won't have the nice-looking metal tabs that stick out, though: http://www.productionwisdom.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/3-1.jpg
You can buy the parts from Beyerdynamic directly.

Alternatively, take the blocks apart then add a thin coat (or more) of super glue to the insides of the clips that you will see holding onto the metal arms (two smallest pieces on the bottom of this picture):
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.c...9b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/9/0/900982_1_1.png

Doing so will make the clips get a tighter grip and adjustment will require a bit more force. You'll end up wearing out the glue given enough time and use, though.

I actually do have the Pro version. I probably should have mentioned that in the title. Does that mean my only option is use super glue?

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 6
How old are your DT770's ?? I have had my DT770 Pro 80's for 4+ yrs now.. the adjustment on mine is still pretty firm.. doesn't move by accident certainly, not loose.

The plastic sliders are apparently prone to cracking after time (mine have not..but I have seen people reporting cracks)... take a look and make sure that isn't the case with yours.

if the outside parts look intact it is probably the two little plastic parts inside that have worn..

if you are in the USA beyers sells the replacement slider kit..but it is $28 (plus $15 flat shipping) in the video the guy says beyer sent him the internal pieces for free.. so??? maybe call them and see what is up first?

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 6
How old are your DT770's ?? I have had my DT770 Pro 80's for 4+ yrs now.. the adjustment on mine is still pretty firm.. doesn't move by accident certainly, not loose.

The plastic sliders are apparently prone to cracking after time (mine have not..but I have seen people reporting cracks)... take a look and make sure that isn't the case with yours.

if the outside parts look intact it is probably the two little plastic parts inside that have worn..

if you are in the USA beyers sells the replacement slider kit..but it is $28 (plus $15 flat shipping) in the video the guy says beyer sent him the internal pieces for free.. so??? maybe call them and see what is up first?

Mine are only 1 year old and if I remember correctly, they have always had this issue. The outside looks fine, so I guess I'll have to open it up and check the inside.

Jun 11, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 6
I contacted Beyerdynamic about this issue and because my headphones had been purchased less than one year ago, they sent me a free replacement kit for the parts shown in atarione's video. That ended up fixing the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back