dt770 into motorcycle helmet, possible???
Mar 26, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #16 of 19
Ehm.. How about the fact that a motorcycle-helmet contains breakable fiberglass - which I doubt is able to drill a whole in.. I think the operation will be VERY dififcult. And even if you manage to do it, I still think the sound would be terrible. I would go for IEM's !! If you so desperatly need to test this theory - do as other have suggested. Use the KSC-75's to check the theory. Glue them into the helmet, and play them loud.

On the other hand - if you manage to make the pads LIE on your ears, and not just play sound into the open inside the helmet, that would be awesome. If you manage to pull this off, then make sure to post some pics!! I would check up first if this is legal, and if it actually is, then you should contact Beyerdynamic + a helmet manufacturer and ask if they could sponsor you with the project. Cuz damn, if THIS is legal, then it's a potential gold-mine !!

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #17 of 19
I think it works pretty good wearing IEM under the helmet, at low speed, I have done it my self. But I don't do it anymore of two reasons first as mentioned before it is not so traffic safe and if I want to hear something when driving around 60Mph (90-100Km/h) I have to turn up the volume quite a lot, and I don't want to ruin my ears. But if you have a silent bike with a big windscreen I think it would work well. I hadn't (Ducati Monster with carbon mufflers
basshead.gif
)

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when riding a motorcycle, you really cant hear a lot. especially at speed, all you can hear is engine and wind noises.
you really wont do better than iems. its really hard to line up the drivers to the ears once the helmet it on, even harder to get it to sound good, almost impossible to get them to drown out all the noises you are competing with.
Trust me, i have tried.

X2! try and get the flat fitting iems (maybe UM1or2 or even customs?) that fits flush in the ears. that way you wont end up with sore ears hopefully. i've tried cutting out a custom hole in the styrofoam at the interior of the helmet to fit a communication radio kit and although it does work somewhat, its only useful at low speeds. at any meaningful klip, the windnoise will drown out most sounds.

re. the issue of audio awareness, most ppl i know (me incld) wear earplugs when riding anyways. not only does it promote hearing health, its definatly a boon for mental health 2. the constant drone of high pitched wind and exhaust/engine noise does a number on me esp. on longer rides. and one can alwz adjust volume to suit the situation.

so go for flushed well fitting iems and it can oso double up as earplugs wit the music off
wink.gif
FWIW i ride faster and better when i shutout exterior sounds. YMMV
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #19 of 19
yeah to all, and i agree, i love riding with my e500's, but it's just a damn pain in the ass, the pth is usefull, but i find that it just doesn't amplify enough.. and i don't like not being able to hear anything. so with iem's i only ride with one ear in, and i hate it. i think i might try that with the ksc75s,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back