dt770. help plz =)
Jul 15, 2008 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

RealDealz

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I have a somewhat multi-part question. My current headphone is an ath-ad900, which I really like. However, its is an open headphone (which offers no isolation) and it also somewhat lacks the bass I would like for certain music (rock, electronic, some gaming/movies). So, I am looking for a complimentary pair of headphones that will offer me the 1) good isolation (for planes/trains and noisy neighbors), 2) bass for when things go boom, and 3) A "fun" musical experience, meaning they need not be neutral, seeing as my AD900's are nice and neutral.

Now, I've done a bit of research and I know that a top contender here will be the Beyer DT 770's. I have a few questions. First, and most obviously, are these the best closed phones for the price range that will fit my needs? Second, my AD900s are pretty damn easy to drive (their like 30 ohms I think), they easily get loud enough out of my X-Fi card and are reasonably loud from my ipod - so my question is - am I best off getting the 80 ohm version so that I can get a cheaper amp, seeing as my ad900's don't even really need it? Lastly, I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the seller on ebay who is selling DT770s for ~150$? (Are they reputable/trust-able?)

BEYERDYNAMIC DT 770 DT770 PRO-80 STUDIO HEADPHONES NEW - eBay (item 160259570193 end time Jul-15-08 22:25:31 PDT)

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 31
Hi,

I had owned the DT770's for awhile and then ended up getting some speakers. With that said I'm planning on going back to headphones and the DT770's are the cans I will be pruchasing
biggrin.gif
. I had no issues driving them off my laptop/desktop or even my ipod. I had purchased my pair off of eBay and they arrived in a timely manner and brand new just as they said. There is several sellers on ebay selling them from anywhere 120-150 buy it now. They were great headphones I only sold them as money was tight at the time. They Isolate pretty good, nice and comfortable for long sessions, I really enjoyed the bass, seemed quite durable as well. These were "great" for movies imo.

Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 31
Don't know that seller, but if you enjoy bass, you really can't go wrong with the DT770. And yes, the 80 ohm version is preferable with lesser or no amps.

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by RealDealz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys. Hows the isolation on the dt770's? I hear the denon D2000's sound pretty good but the isolation is just so-so, or are they also a pair for me to consider?

The isolation of the Beyer DT770 is much, much better than the Denon D2000.
The latter are practical open headphone, they don't block external noise at all.

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 31
I'll second Tiemen. DT770 isolation is superb.

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 31
So you all think the dt770s are the best choice? Which others would compete?

Also, regarding the isolation issue, how would you compare the isolation to the bose noise canceling? (my dad has a pair) I know it isn't going to be as good, but if you had to put a % to it, what would you say? (i.e. 70% as much isolation ect)

Thanks and sorry for all the Qs, want to make sure I don't get a pair I dislike =)

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 31
bump for my above post and also another question. How would you guys compare the dt770 with the Ultrasone (I think the equivalent ones would be the HFI 580 or 780?)

I'd love to hear some other opinions!

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 31
well, the bose quiet comforts cant get rid of all noises (aside from the noise they dampen from being closed), for example random noises and speach isnt muted. I personally have my mom's old pair where only one ear works, but once I get my dt770's in a few minutes (thats if ups doesnt screw up again) I'll test it out for you. I expect the dt770's to lower the ambient the same amount if not more, but may not be as well adapted to say flying on a plane

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 31
just tested out for noise reduction, the dt770 wins hands down against the quiet comfort 2's even with an air conditioner's constant noise... which brings up the question, why even get the quiet comfort 2's for flying if there are dt770s in the world

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there more comfy headband available for DT770?

I found the headbands for the DT770's quite comfortable.
But the Pro ones are smaller. I don't know which version you have.
The DT770 consumer edtition has the most comfortable headband.
Maybe you can order one of those headbands.

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #14 of 31
DT770's are almost exactly what you are looking for but unlike everybody else I will say that they need to be amped to be fully enjoyed. I ran my pair straight from my computer unamped for a while and I would have to crank it for them to live up to their potential, otherwise they sound just like good headphones. But now that they are amped (corda Headsix) they have the same if not better energy than they did when I cranked them at 1/2 the volume. So my ears are thanking me for it.

As for Isolation, they do pretty well. I can't hear people knock on my door if I'm listening to them, I can't hear some talking at normal volume at all when they are right beside you when they are on your head. So unless you live by railroad tracks, I'd say that the isolation is fairly adequate.

They are also very comfortable to listen to even for long durations, they just get a little hot after while from keeping in all of the heat.

Lastly, I purchased mine from ebay for around 150-180 a few years back they were fine, I say go for it if you can find them for cheap. They are practically indestructible so even if they ship it poorly they will still be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back