dt770, akg701, or hd598
Aug 1, 2011 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jsdodgen

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of headphones that are a nice step up from my current audio technica m50s. I absolutly love my m50's. They were my first pair of decent headphones and now i can not listen to anything worse. It was the subtleties and the accurate bass, it was like hearing a song for the frist time! Its so fun! So now i am hooked and looking to move up to the next step. I do not have a store around me where i can go listen to high end cans. So i really rely on everyones opinions and reviews. What i look for in a headphone is Good noise isolation and accurate bass that is there, but not too over powering. They dont have to be portable. I know that open headphones dont have the best noise isolation, but i am willing to try them. So please pass on any info you may have.

-Josh

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 6
DT770 are for rock, I find them boring and opposite of the M50

AKG701 are also boring and neutral sounding, opposite of M50

HD598 are more for rock but also does anything, I think they are funner then the M50

HD598, just make sure you have a amp or a decent source of power going to them for best result
Call up J&R for $180 shipped to states

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
I see that you have a fiio e5 amp. How do you like that?

It's horrible. Don't buy it because it says "amp" and it's $15

I have it ONLY for my M1's that actually need the small amount of power from it. ONLY if people say that the headphones you want to buy NEEDS the FiiO E5, that is only when you buy it.

For any other can it will ruin the soundquality

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 6
Depending on which kind of music you listen to, you might think the HD598 are very bass light (they have a deep bass, but no bass impact).

Though they're very good for vocals (I'm listening to some bossa nova on them right now, and it's great).

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 6
i think the 770s are a nice step up in clarity, comfort and separation from the m50 but are also more difficult to drive.  and kinda sound like cheap bass heavy iems when underpowered.  at least they do on my phone.  but when powered they are one of my favorites of all the cans i've heard for under 300$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back