dt770/80 vs sony xb700 (very quick)
Jul 20, 2010 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jabse

100+ Head-Fier
xb700 has

-nicer soundstage(imo)
-more friendly clamp force
-better drivers (doesn't distort at louder volumes or make funny noises at very low frequencies)
-can go deeper
-about the same bass impact
-less sibilant
-better mids

keep in mind i do eq my gear.

but come on.. the cord is so damn short :S

just tested without eq

-the sound stage of sony's are clearly wider
-beyers are more harsh, sibilant
-bass is surprisingly pretty similar, beyers abit boomy

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 11
So the Pro 80 get owned by XB700s then?  Do the DT 770 Pro 80s win anywhere?

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 11
he's prolly just using his crappy soundcard. lol

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 11
      Quote:
he's prolly just using his crappy soundcard. lol

Nah bro, If i turn up the volume to max on my system, it would most likely blow the dt770/80's drivers in no time. I don't know, I think it's because I heavily eq when listening to music, then again this is IMO.

dt770 has better build quality, earpads sightly more comfortable but in terms of SQ.. nothing that stands out.

I'll edit my post and ad a non-eq'd impression. That might be more accurate

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 11
I'll have to agree and disagree. Having owned both, you have got to be absolutely crazy in thinking the XB700s have a larger soundstage. That is absolutely absurd, IMHO. The XB700's might be huge in size, but their soundstage is microscopic compared to the DT770 pro 80s.

Other than that, what the Xb700's do better than the DT770s Pro 80s is bass and sparkly highs. The XB700s are more of a basshead can than the DT770 Pros, and sound clearer in the upper registries as well. But that's about it. The XB700's bass consumes the entire frequency compared to the DT770 Pro (which also tends to detract from the rest of the frequencies). The DT770 Pros are muddier, but the bass isn't as distracting.

Overall, I DO prefer the cleaner sound of the XB700's over the DT770 Pro 80s, but the bass is way over emphasized, and the soundstage is miniscule.

For music, the XB700s for me (I'm a bass and treble head, both which are better done by the XB700s). For everything else, the DT770 Pros are a much better headphone, IMHO.

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
I'll have to agree and disagree. Having owned both, you have got to be absolutely crazy in thinking the XB700s have a larger soundstage. That is absolutely absurd, IMHO. The XB700's might be huge in size, but their soundstage is microscopic compared to the DT770 pro 80s.

Other than that, what the Xb700's do better than the DT770s Pro 80s is bass and sparkly highs. The XB700s are more of a basshead can than the DT770 Pros, and sound clearer in the upper registries as well. But that's about it. The XB700's bass consumes the entire frequency compared to the DT770 Pro (which also tends to detract from the rest of the frequencies). The DT770 Pros are muddier, but the bass isn't as distracting.

Overall, I DO prefer the cleaner sound of the XB700's over the DT770 Pro 80s, but the bass is way over emphasized, and the soundstage is miniscule.

For music, the XB700s for me (I'm a bass and treble head, both which are better done by the XB700s). For everything else, the DT770 Pros are a much better headphone, IMHO.

That's weird, I've heard xb700's having a good soundstage from others aswell

the beyers might have more depth but they aren't wider imo

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #8 of 11
Don't get me wrong. The Xb700's have a decent soundstage. But it's significantly smaller than the DT770 Pro 80's, IMHO. Soundstage is an absolute MUST for me with all my main headphones, and the XB700 can't compare to the DT770 Pros in this regard. The soundstage isn't as small as say the ES7 that I own, but it isn't large. Far from it. The DT770 Pro 80 is the first headphone that has made me think twice about saying that closed headphones can't compete with open headphones in soundstage.

Too bad it's so unbalanced and unrefined. I really did like them for gaming. If only their clarity was comparable top the XB700s.

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 11
who knows my beyers are heavily burned in and my xb700 not so much, my ears and headsize isn't big either (less clamp), did your ears touch the driver wall? mine don't and they sound different to if it was clamped harder, also i just did a head to head comparison and the SS is no way miniscule in comparison.

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #10 of 11
I mainly test soundstage with gaming, as you can pretty much influence depth and wide of sound separation (which is why the AD700s and K701 is so highly regarded for their soundstage). The DT770 Pro 80s have a soundstage that bests even some open headphones. They gave such a convincing field of depth and width for gaming. Something the XB700 failed to do. There was no real sense of depth compared to the DT770s. Everything sounded relatively close, while the DT770 pros had sounds that seemed to come from close and far. Love or hate them, the DT770 Pros are excellent performers in having a convincing soundfield, IMHO.

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a bass and treble head

You should try the DT990s then.  They've got both in spades, plus soundstage and detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back