DT770-80 vs. DT250-250?
Jun 18, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #16 of 21
I saw this on Amazon (from Full Compass Systems) for a nice price, but have no idea which model I'd be getting. I sent an e-mail about 2 days ago, but no response yet.

Jun 18, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #17 of 21
I agree on the DT250-250. They have a certain soft focus quality to them. Not terrible, but not quite up to reference grade standards. They are a casual listening phone with a very natural sound (to me, anyway). The balance is quite similar to the Ety ER4S, I think, but with beefier bass. I would love to have a pair of canal phones that sound just like the DT250.

A trick to help with portability is to take the cord off (I never install that lock screw). Without the cord they can be collapsed to a very small package. I also just hang them on the shoulder strap of my junk/laptop bag (can't really call it a briefcase anymore).

The DT770 pro had a distinct 3 band response, with a huge overboost in the bass. What bothered me the most was the boost (tuned resonance, maybe?) went clear up to 150 hz. boosted mid and upper bass gives the music a thick sound with the "boomy cheap speaker" aura that I seem to have developed an aversion to. This was also an issue with the new UE phones that I tried. Just not what I am after.

Since I seem to be rambling on about bass tuning, the Ultrasones seem to have the boost in a nice location. The penalty is that they have a matching jump in the treble range. The Ultras isolate better than the DT250.

Apar, you expressed the default head-fi solution: "keep them both"
600smile.gif

Good luck with the new cans.

gerG

Jun 18, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
(...) Perhaps I should ask Lini? (...)

Sorry, can't comment, as I haven't heard the DT770Pro/80 yet. I only have the DT770Pro/250, DT250/250 and DT250/80 as closed Beyerdynamics. So I could only tell you that among these three I'd recommend the DT250/250 most.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 19, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
I agree on the DT250-250. They have a certain soft focus quality to them. Not terrible, but not quite up to reference grade standards. They are a casual listening phone with a very natural sound (to me, anyway). The balance is quite similar to the Ety ER4S, I think, but with beefier bass. I would love to have a pair of canal phones that sound just like the DT250.

casual listening phone with a very natural sound... that sounds like what i'm looking for as an alternative to my SR60's. It should make them a good candidate when I want to listen to some tunes and not have things be so "in your face"... plus they're closed, so no bothering the significant other. I noticed last night in comparing the SR60's to the DT770-80, that the 770-80 seems to have a much softer (i.e. less impact) quality to them than the SR60s. I think I can finally see what people say when a can sounds more refined than another.

I've got a real sneaking suspicion that unless they blow the DT770-80's out of the water, I'll be holding on to both sets of Beyers... not necessarily a bad position to be in!

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
Since I seem to be rambling on about bass tuning, the Ultrasones seem to have the boost in a nice location. The penalty is that they have a matching jump in the treble range. The Ultras isolate better than the DT250.

Problem with the 650 perhaps ? HFI 550 don't seem to have that treble jump problem ... or more likely because 550 do not have that much treble.
wink.gif

Btw appar111, I only heard dt770pro (250) and it sounded a bit thin in mids compared to 250-250. Unfortunately I use 550 more and more thesedays. Looking forward to your own comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back