DT770/80: Stock or not?
Sep 16, 2009 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sovelin

100+ Head-Fier
I got mine fairly recently, and I love them despite the sibilance. I'm just curious about other people and their experiences with their own DT770's. Do you have them stock, or are they modded in any way? How much of an improvement do the modifications make?

I just got a job, so I should be able to get the Zero amp with Moon HDAM end of this month or early next month. How much of an improvement does your amp/DAC make with your 770?

Recabling can be expensive. I think it's around $150 for the 770, which is how much I paid for the headphones themselves. How many people had theirs recabled? In what ways does this improve the SQ (less muddy bass, less sibilance)? Is the improvement worth the money, or would I be better off spending the $150 on a SS or tube amp to go with the Zero DAC? I currently have the FiiO E5, though that was just to use with the XBox temporarily. I'm going to assume the stock amp in the Zero is better.

Any other mods besides recabling? I've heard that the majority of the sound improvement from the Darth mod comes from the recabling itself, and not the wood. Any truth to that? I've read about the less boomy mod, though I actually like the bass impact. Anything else easy to do besides that one that is really worth doing?

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovelin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine fairly recently, and I love them despite the sibilance. I'm just curious about other people and their experiences with their own DT770's. Do you have them stock, or are they modded in any way? How much of an improvement do the modifications make?

I just got a job, so I should be able to get the Zero amp with Moon HDAM end of this month or early next month. How much of an improvement does your amp/DAC make with your 770?

Recabling can be expensive. I think it's around $150 for the 770, which is how much I paid for the headphones themselves. How many people had theirs recabled? In what ways does this improve the SQ (less muddy bass, less sibilance)? Is the improvement worth the money, or would I be better off spending the $150 on a SS or tube amp to go with the Zero DAC? I currently have the FiiO E5, though that was just to use with the XBox temporarily. I'm going to assume the stock amp in the Zero is better.

Any other mods besides recabling? I've heard that the majority of the sound improvement from the Darth mod comes from the recabling itself, and not the wood. Any truth to that? I've read about the less boomy mod, though I actually like the bass impact. Anything else easy to do besides that one that is really worth doing?

Modding these cans realy does improve them alot (check my sig). First recabling, it doesnt have to be expensive, using canare/mogami starquad, will smooth them out and tame the 'harsh' sound. Next, pads, my fav clear gel. Availible from official beyerdynamic site, will improve isolation and bass response. Lastley their are some driver mods that will reduce bass, to a level where it doesnt 'distort' the rest of the sound.
dean0

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Are these the Gel pads you were referring to: beyerdynamic MANUFAKTUR*-*Gel Ear Seals, black, 1 pair

Are they easy to install without messing up the headphones? Anything that improves isolation is a must for me. I will be using these headphones in the library a lot.

The canare website has 4 different starquad cables, and they say they are for microphones. Are those what you were talking about? Would those have the same effect as the blackmax or blackcopper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back