DT770 80/32 pros, COPs, UE6000, L1s
Nov 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Minarets

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 4, 2007
Posts
614
Likes
60
I am at a crossroads. I have switched what feels like 100 times in the last week on a decision for my next purchase. Everytime I think I'm sold, something else sways me.

I don't have an amp. I know nothing of portable amps. I'm typically listening to music while on the go traveling via plane or car but only if I must, and I really don't want to carry one around. That and price is a factor. I don't want to invest another $100 or so in one.

I am no bass head. That said I love a live sound to my music, thusly, a bit warm or towards the bass end. I listen to a lot of DMB, Led Zepp, Coldplay, Pearl Jam, 90s rock, 90s rap. Mostly a lot of DMB.


I see several things I like and some I don't in these phone I listened. A detachable cord is a bonus. A nice case is a bonus. As far as a must, I like treble and the bass. Clarity, crisp music with a nice thump. Love my K81 DJ but time to move on.

Which is my best option among these?

Thanks
 
Nov 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 15

Minarets

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 4, 2007
Posts
614
Likes
60
Hmm, there isn't a ton of info out there for a set of cans that sound so good. The few I have read we're promising.

How are there zero YouTube reviews? Is that possible?


Also, it does seem a tad odd that such a nice complete pkg (extra earpads, coiled and straight cords) doesn't get as much love


Not even a lot on head if. Hmmm.
 
Nov 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 15

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Posts
7,002
Likes
733
Quote:
Hmm, there isn't a ton of info out there for a set of cans that sound so good. The few I have read we're promising.
How are there zero YouTube reviews? Is that possible?
Also, it does seem a tad odd that such a nice complete pkg (extra earpads, coiled and straight cords) doesn't get as much love
Not even a lot on head if. Hmmm.

 
It's because:
 
1) Ultrasone.
2) It's not the HFI580 or the PRO900 (which are ridiculously popular).
3) It's the "middle child" of the series.
4) Ultrasone.
 
Of the PRO series, finding a plethora of information on the 550, 650 or 750 is difficult. The PRO900 basically gets all the attention. The HFI series gets more attention because they're cheaper and more accessible.
 
The PRO 750 is a more balanced Ultrasone, it's not a bass cannon with no mids like the PRO900, but it's not an anemic tin-can like the PRO550.
 
There's plenty of great headphones that simply don't have a lot of documentation behind them. If it's not popular, it just doesn't have much behind it.
 
Very best,
 
Nov 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 15

ProjectDenz

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 1, 2010
Posts
1,647
Likes
74
My opinion is that 90s rap, 90s rock and other rock music in general don't sound to flash with the Pro 750, due to it's crapola mids. It can also sibilant in the treble with poorly recorded material. I found most of my inherently poorly recorded 90s rap music to be pretty unlistenable from the Pro 750 because the treble was piercing my ears and the vocals sounded very shouty and wrong.
 
I didn't find the Pro-550 (DJ1 Pro) to be an anemic tin can, it's bassy all right but doesn't have much else going for it.
 
There's a bit of hype surrounding the COP, check it out.
 
Nov 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 15

Minarets

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 4, 2007
Posts
614
Likes
60
Quote:
Heya,
 
Ultrasone PRO 750 (black/grey)
 
Everything, including your bonuses, that you're asking for.
 
Alt: AKG K267 when it's released maybe.
 
Very best,

how do the B&W P5's stack up.  i didnt listen to them yesterday, but tried them on at BB and man they were comfy and isolated extremely well for something so small.  
 
Nov 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 15

machoboy

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 20, 2012
Posts
598
Likes
61
I found my DT 770s perfect for portable use when I had them.
That said, maybe check out the Sony V6? Cheap, easy to drive, bass is woofy without being absurd, treble is bright but not painful, very portable.
 
Nov 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 15

Minarets

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 4, 2007
Posts
614
Likes
60
Quote:
I found my DT 770s perfect for portable use when I had them.
That said, maybe check out the Sony V6? Cheap, easy to drive, bass is woofy without being absurd, treble is bright but not painful, very portable.

yeah, i have had a set of v6 for about 15 years.  i like them, and they do their job, but nothing special.  i actually prefer my k81 DJs to the v6.  
 
Nov 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 15

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Posts
7,002
Likes
733
Quote:
For portable use I don't think the DT770s are a good idea.. 

 
I use DT770 premiums with T70 microfiber pads (much better isolation), custom cabled with detachable locking braided and sheath covered cable, with a Fuze & Fiio E11.
 
Works great as a full size portable that looks amazing.
 

 

 
Very best,
 
Feb 7, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #14 of 15

Bee inthe Attic

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 29, 2011
Posts
531
Likes
18
Quote:
 
I use DT770 premiums with T70 microfiber pads (much better isolation), custom cabled with detachable locking braided and sheath covered cable, with a Fuze & Fiio E11.
 
Works great as a full size portable that looks amazing.
 
 
Very best,

 
what do these pads do to the sound? and where did you get them (don't see them on the Beyer N.America website, Amazon, B&H, or any of the usual supects)?
i'm using the beyer gel pads on my 770's - curious about these though !
 
Feb 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #15 of 15

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Posts
7,002
Likes
733
Quote:
 
what do these pads do to the sound? and where did you get them (don't see them on the Beyer N.America website, Amazon, B&H, or any of the usual supects)?
i'm using the beyer gel pads on my 770's - curious about these though !

 
Heya,
 
The T70 pads isolate more. I found they take low frequencies down. Kind of explained why the T70 sounded thin to me. On the DT770 it literally makes it sound more like a neutral headphone. I simply equalize to compensate. I got them from another Head-Fi'er who was selling just the pads. But I had already sampled the pads when I bought the T70 and transplanted them to other Beyers when I was testing things. Found I liked the pads and isolation of the T70, but liked the overall sound of the DT770 (premium). Married the two. Best of both worlds.
 
My DT770 600ohm's with T70 pads don't sound like the typical DT770 80ohm. Hrm. Makes me want to send them to Tyll at InnerFidelity to see what the response actually looks like. Would be interesting.
 
Very best,
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top