DT250 vs GMP 8.35D v SoundMAGIC HP100 for music production?
Apr 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

amigomatt

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi people,

You can see my list of cans in my signature, but I'm wanting a pair that I can use specifically for music production.  My music making will include using electronic sounds, but I am very keen to have some headphones with accuracy and transparency for recording and mixing/mastering orchestral/acoustic instruments as well.  Accuracy and good frequency response is going to be key for me.  I bought a vintage pair of AKG K240DF recently, and despite their nice midrange presentation, I wouldn't be happy with using them for production duties with their lack of bass response.  I do have a number of nice headphones in my collection, but as you may see, they are far from neutral and probably not the best for making music with.  Am I wrong?  Are any of them appropriate for that task?  If not, I've narrowed my list down to the mentioned 3 headphones that may just fit the bill.  Have I missed any other glaringly obvious choices?  These are all around the same sort of price for me here.

Beyerdynamic DT250 - £140
SoundMAGIC HP100 - £160
German Maestro GMP 8.35D - £160

Here's hoping some of you may have experience of these cans and may even be able to compare pros and cons.  I'd be prepared to sell my AKGs towards funding these.  Am I on the right track with my choices?

Many thanks in advance! 

Matt

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
The HP100, or AKG Q701/K702 if you are willing to go open.

Thank you for your reply.  I was considering the AKG lines you mentioned, but they are way more expensive and I worry about their lack of bass response.  I do generally prefer open headphones, but I may want to use this next pair I buy for tracking too (I'm a trumpet player, so need my tracking cans to be loud sometimes) and I just thought closed may well be the best option.  I really like what I've read and seen about the HP100s, except for some random quality control issues with the cable.

The AKG Q701/K702 have come to my attention a number of times now and given that I love big orchestral stuff, I'm sure I'll have to at least try a pair at some point!

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 18
Anyone else?

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 18
I have heard all the phones listed above. If studio mixing is important for you I agree go with the KRK, otherwise HP100 is better in every way for music listening.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
You might look into the KRK KNS-8400s.

Quote:
I have heard all the phones listed above. If studio mixing is important for you I agree go with the KRK, otherwise HP100 is better in every way for music listening.

Thanks guys for your input.  2 people recommending these after each other sparks my interest.  Are these better than the GMPs then?  I don't need another set for music listening, those duties are more than fulfilled by my present collection!

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 18
Thanks everyone.  Having researched more on the KRKs, I'm shortlisting them too now.  Given their monitoring heritage, I'm sure they'll be a good option, but everyone raves about the GMPs and I hope someone can chime in on a comparison against these KRKs.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 18
Decisions, decisions! I've just been reading reviews of the Shure SRH-940 and have added them to my list now too! Can anyone compare the Shures, KRKs and German Maestros for my purposes?!

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #13 of 18
KRK or GMP won't be a bad choice. The Shures are (IMO) way too bright for production use, though lots of people like them.

As far as bass reproduction though, remember you may get more bass in a speaker setup. I know the K240S I use in the studio is great for picking details, but I usually try to EQ the bass using my monitors. If you want to see a difference, just do a test track with 20-250hz bumped up, 20-100 bumped maybe 4-5dB. Something you can't miss. Listen to the two on different setups and try to find your point of reference.

Personally I would say either of those two choices are solid, and durable as hell too.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #14 of 18
KRK or GMP won't be a bad choice. The Shures are (IMO) way too bright for production use, though lots of people like them.

As far as bass reproduction though, remember you may get more bass in a speaker setup. I know the K240S I use in the studio is great for picking details, but I usually try to EQ the bass using my monitors. If you want to see a difference, just do a test track with 20-250hz bumped up, 20-100 bumped maybe 4-5dB. Something you can't miss. Listen to the two on different setups and try to find your point of reference.

Personally I would say either of those two choices are solid, and durable as hell too.

Thanks for your input. I'm also using a pair of Yamaha HS80Ms for monitoring, so the cans are in addition to those. I wish there was somewhere I could try these out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back