DT150 vs. HD25-1
Jan 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

milesandcoltrane

100+ Head-Fier
These are the two cans I own at the moment. They sound pretty similar with some minor differences.

On the comfort front, the HD25-1 with velour pads beat the DT150. Some say the HD25-1 clamp tight, but with the velour pads its not as 'clampy' and can be worn for a 2 to 3 hours on end without the need for a break.

In terms of sound the DT150 are balanced and natural with a slight warm tinge. The HD25-1 is heavier on the bass, forward in the mids but don't excel as well as the DT150 in the higher regions. I feel the DT150 is tad more detailed as well.

I'm choosing not to rattle on partly because I'm an utter noob, and I'd like to find out your impressions, for those who've listened to both these cans.

A point to note though, I don't have an amp to drive both these cans. Had an obscure small Chinese made portable, that to my ears didn't make a difference so I got rid of it.

So on with your opinions.... =)

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 12
pardon my jumping in with a question for you. per your ID name, i'd like to ask how the HD25-1s hold up for jazz (per your and others' comments about their limited higher range).

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 12
Hi ramosa

I've been having a pretty good time with the HD25-1 for Jazz. But most of my Jazz is essentially bop, post-bop and some 'cool' jazz ala Kind of Blue. The HD25-1 works for that intimate feel I love with 50s 60s Jazz of my taste.

For the highs well, its a bit tough to tell right now. I'm still quite new with these cans. Got them about 2 weeks ago.

Piano sounds the least satisfying on the HD25-1. Bill Evans Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby are good indicators. Piano sounds a little synthetic and lifeless. It's like as if each note resonates without a purpose... weird description I know but metaphorically thats how it sounds to me = )

On the other hand, I'm not running them out of the amp and have yet to receive my stock HD650 cable. Hoping things might change by then.

Generally I still prefer my DT150 for Jazz and most other genres. Save for the fact that the HD25-1 can be more enjoyable at times and has an engaging sense of PRaT. Percussion instruments have great deal of impact, visceral at times.

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for your interesting post!!! it was deliciously
popcorn.gif
considerate
beerchug.gif
of you
angry_face.gif
to share
ph34r.gif
with us
evil_smiley.gif

Am I getting too oot 2-2 carried away am i????? I do mean it
doh!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 12
thanks for the comparison. i had expected the dt150's to wipe the floor with hd25's. i wanted to switch for semi-portable college cans but since my hd650 cable and defoaming, the hd25's have been nothing less than delightful.

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 12
thanks for the input, milesandcoletrane. i have read some about the comfort of the hd25s. you indicate that they are quite (or, at least, relatively) comfortable. i guess this remains a "sticking" point for me ... i guess the velour pads are critical. thanks again for your help!

DoomzDayz: what are your thoughts on comfort per the HD25s?

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 12
No worries ramosa = )

Yes I find that the velour pads are critical in getting that I-can-wear-these-cans-for-hours comfort. With the stock pleather pads it ain't too sweet. I'm not sure about how they're shipped in different countries. But here in Asia I received the velour pads in the box along with a 1/4' adapter and soft carrying case/bag.

After additional extensive listening I've deduced 3 distinct advantages the HD25-1 has over the DT150:

1) More impact, better PRaT, lively and engaging drums that are visceral at times - depends on the records being listened to

2) Slower decay, resonance - again dependent on records being listened to. This is an absolutely awesome characteristic = ) First time I'm experiencing with a set of cans.

3) Better comfort. Again only with the velour pads. I guess part of the equation is the supra-aural design. Without pads to cover the entire ear, there is a lesser likelihood of your ears getting warmed up. If the DT150 had velour pads it might be different. The adjustable head band also plays a role.

And the DT150 beats the HD25-1 on one factor (by quite a wide margin IMHO):

1) Better rendition of higher frequencies. With equal presentation of all frequencies the DT150 just sounds more natural. With the HD25-1 you get the sense that the highs are only being represented 60-80% of what they should be. On some occasions the highs tend to be peaky, grainy and grating. This issue applies to the mids as well. With the DT150 there's rarely such occasion. It's all smooth and natural all the way.

3 against 1 might be a no-brainer. But the 1 factor is something you're going to feel a large portion of the time.

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 12
some people complain about comfort with the hd25, but with velors i think it is fine. you can put it on something to reduce the clamping force which i think is the other major factor that is complained about.

as for the rendition of higher frequencies, definitely try some form of defoaming.

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 12
Woot! Does de-foaming correct the HF problem? If it does I'd def be down for it. I'll do a search on the mod. Thanks!

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 12
One word after listening to my de-foamed HD25-1. "OUCHHHHHH!!!!!"

As quoted from my post in the original Senn defoamer confession thread.

Quote:

Apologies for resurrecting this thread from the dead. But OMFGooodddnnesssss! How do you guys tolerate the sound without the foams. One word when I listened to them. Ouch! Killer highs! Deadly! My ears started to ache quite a little. I guess it was my mistake to put on Miles Davis' Blue In Green (Kind of Blue). I didn't even have the volume tuned up to my usual levels. I guess now I realize why I'm not a big fan of Grados. Treble sparkle? More like Treble paiiinnnnnnn! I reckon my ears are sensitive to high frequencies, that's why I favor a slightly bassy, warm and lush sound. From my HD25-1.

Few learning points I can take home from this short and painful experience. Keep away from Grados and stick to my fav sonic flavor
= )

Now time to mod my HD25-1 and DT150 to make'em look like those Grado RS-1 and RS-2 cans. Love that woody look and feel. I've got wood = )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back