DT150 vs ESW9
Sep 9, 2009 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

Firstly, I talked myself out of the Senn 600/650, mainly on the basis of so many conflicting reports re the bass impact achievable from either and the tube amps that seem to be mandatory with these cans. Appreciate those who replied to my earlier thread, but the search goes on.

For those who own one or both of these phones, these are my priorities:

- bass impact : the drummer and the bass guitarist need to sound like they were actually present when the record was made.
k701smile.gif

- sufficient detail in the upper mids for blazing guitar solos from Petrucci and Satriani.

- comfort : I didnt find the ES7 comfortable, but I'm assured that the ESW9 aren't quite so bad. I assume both Beyers are very comfortable from the photos.

Source is a CA integrated amp hooked up to a Marantz SACD player. Music is per my sig. I'm leaning heavily toward the DT150 right now. Both are around the $400 mark here in Oz. Feedback greatly appreciated.

Tks,

estreeter

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 5
Hello Estreeter,

I never tried out the ESW9's, but I do have the DT 150's and they are exceptionally great for bass impact, they do have good detail in the mids, though not the best I heard (K701's win there) and alot of people complain about the DT 150's comfort, but for me they fit like a glove! I can spend 3 hours listening and never experience discomfort, though it depends the size and shape of your head I guess... Overall they are the best cans I have heard to date, especially for being closed! Good luck with your choice! Take care,

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks Mike - appreciated.

phandrew, I was going to wait till I got to Singapore to buy my chosen cans, but given the latest edict from Sennheiser, I may spend my money here to drive a point home to their (oblivious) local distributor.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 5
Based on your requirements, the DT150 would be the better choice.

For a portable headphone, the ESW9 is quite good. However, the DT150 wins for a home rig.

Have used both for longer periods of time, the DT150 is much more comfortable for me. As long as you do not have any reflective surfaces nearby, all should be well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back