DT 990 PRO 250 vs SoundMAGIC HP100
Apr 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Neighbor808

New Head-Fier
I already own the ATH M50 and V-Moda M80s and I have enjoyed both of them very much. I'd have to say I prefer the more treble and bass oriented sound of the ATH M50s over the smoother and darker sound of the V-Moda M80s. I will be picking up a new pair of headphones in the next 10 days and I'm torn between either of these. I know that one is open and the other is closed but neither of these facts will make a difference in my purchase, I'm just looking at pure sound quality. How do the sounds of each of these compare? I enjoy rock, EDM, RnB, and jazzy/classical music. I'd have to say rock and EDM are the bulk of my music library.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 28
I don't know about the DT990s, but the Soundmagics are very neutral and linear so I don't know if you would like them a lot compared to the V-shaped M50s you enjoy.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 28
  I don't know about the DT990s, but the Soundmagics are very neutral and linear so I don't know if you would like them a lot compared to the V-shaped M50s you enjoy.

Really? Thanks very much for the input. I'm not looking for a neutral headphone so I guess that rules out the HP100.

990's are pure bass and pure mids, for some its fatiguing after 20 minutes. 

Interesting response Folex. I've heard most people say the 990s had overly bright treble (which I tend to enjoy), and strong bass giving the mid range a back seat. Maybe production has changed?

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 28
I have compared these two headphones. Please keep in mind that I'm a happy owner of dt's and hp100 I heard were not burned in. I might not be as objective as You would desire:)
In my impression these are way different headphones. Dt 990 have really really wide soundstage. Hp100 as well akg 550 (which i was comparing at the same time) sounds awfully congested in comparison. Sound in hp100 and 550 is more linear than loudness-oriented dt990. All of these headphones did well when listening to marcus miller. The main difference for me is soundstage.

You can always equalize to dt990 to linear characteristics using foobar. After that they sound like senn hd650 just with full, punchy bass and wider soundstage. If You throw at the metallica S&M it will be hard to believe it is headphones You are listening to. Honestly. These are my favorites.

In a punch line I would say that when it comes dynamics, spectrum reproduction dt990 and hp100 and 550 perform pretty similar, but with proper equalization dt990 crushes them in an aspect of musical show reproduction. The more sounds You throw at them the more obvious it becomes that a close headphone will always fall back in terms of imaging. Almost the same as open headphone should lack bass. But dt990 doesn't lack bass at all.  So if the isolation isn't Your main concern and You have inears for subway this shouldn't be a brainer. Any downfall of a dt990 signature can be track-preequalized.

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #7 of 28
Hi,

DT990s are great headphones. Being high impedance headphones they need extra amplification to show their strengths.

With poorly recorded (modern) music (compressed/low dynamic range), this headphones can sound overly bright and sibilant, specially with poorly recorded voices.
But paired with a good quality headphone Amp (Fiio E10 can do the job, a nice tube amp would be great) and high quality recordings, this headphones sound really natural, with amazing detail retrieval, transparency and less "headphone-like" sound compared with most headphones in its price range.

Best Luck!

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 28
I have compared these two headphones. Please keep in mind that I'm a happy owner of dt's and hp100 I heard were not burned in. I might not be as objective as You would desire:)
In my impression these are way different headphones. Dt 990 have really really wide soundstage. Hp100 as well akg 550 (which i was comparing at the same time) sounds awfully congested in comparison. Sound in hp100 and 550 is more linear than loudness-oriented dt990. All of these headphones did well when listening to marcus miller. The main difference for me is soundstage.

You can always equalize to dt990 to linear characteristics using foobar. After that they sound like senn hd650 just with full, punchy bass and wider soundstage. If You throw at the metallica S&M it will be hard to believe it is headphones You are listening to. Honestly. These are my favorites.

In a punch line I would say that when it comes dynamics, spectrum reproduction dt990 and hp100 and 550 perform pretty similar, but with proper equalization dt990 crushes them in an aspect of musical show reproduction. The more sounds You throw at them the more obvious it becomes that a close headphone will always fall back in terms of imaging. Almost the same as open headphone should lack bass. But dt990 doesn't lack bass at all.  So if the isolation isn't Your main concern and You have inears for subway this shouldn't be a brainer. Any downfall of a dt990 signature can be track-preequalized.

So you've tried all those phone with the same amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back