DT 880s or K701s for new phones?
Oct 19, 2008 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

tintin47

Headphoneus Supremus
Right now I have hd 600s and I would like to expand. I've heard both a little, but they weren't completely burned it and I am just looking to see what others prefer.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

I've heard both a little, but they weren't completely burned it and I am just looking to see what others prefer.

Well, there're plenty of people who prefer 880 and quite as much who love k701. How will it help you?

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music? amp?

Pretty much all over the place with music. Mostly rock. As far as an amp, ibasso d3 for DAC and I'm borrowing a p3 heron as an amp right now from a friend who didn't like it much. I will probably be buying an amp of my own in the near future.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, there're plenty of people who prefer 880 and quite as much who love k701. How will it help you?

Actually, your comment helps me a lot. I am relatively new to anything close to high end audio (I'm still changing a lot of my library to lossless) and I was just wondering whether there was an overall feeling that one of them was better. I listened to them and liked both, but both are a step up from what I have consistently listened to, so I don't completely trust myself to make an uninformed judgement on which one i liked more after a few minutes listening time.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 24
Thanks for the input. I guess that I'll have to add Grado to the possibilities if everyone thinks that they are great for rock. Still need to find a place to listen to them though.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

then every way is wrong except Grado. 880 and k701 are bad rock headphones.

You know what they say about opinions... I love my k701, and half of what I listen to is classified as rock or some variation. The only problem I see is that they expose lower quality recordings for what they are. Less detailed phones such as Grado will color the sound more and mask flaws better.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 24
I love my 701s also, but for jazz, acoustic, and classical, they are definately no the best rock/metal/scream/rap phones out there, though they do sound good with everything I think you could find better.

Dave

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

The only problem I see is that they expose lower quality recordings for what they are. Less detailed phones such as Grado will color the sound more and mask flaws better.

It's completely not about details. You're watching in wrong direction. It's much easier, there're good and bad headphones for rock, you know the rest.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

It's completely not about details. You're watching in wrong direction. It's much easier, there're good and bad headphones for rock, you know the rest.

I have been thinking about the type of music I listen to more, and though I would classify it as rock still, I really like a lot of very accoustic driven music. In addition, I listen to a lot mellow sort-of-rock bands like Iceland's Sigur Ros and somewhat electronic bands like Radiohead. Basically, music at through the whole spectrum minus rap, electronica, and jazz. Would you still think that Grado would be superior? If so, which would you recommend me trying in the $250-500 range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back