DT 880 Recable Recommendations
May 25, 2005 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Oski

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got my DT 880s 2 weeks ago and really like them! Now I'm considering selling one of my full sized cans to finance the recabling of the DT 880. Please let me know what cable options are currently available (I would really prefer the side entry like it is now...having a cable right in front of me tends to get in the way). Also if anyone has done direct comparisons between different cables on the DT 880, I'd really appreciate your impressions of differences. Thanks!

May 25, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 10
Canare star quad, some heatshrink and a soldering iron.... DIY is your best bang for the buck IMHO. I did a cable mod on my SR40 and it improved the sound noticeably, filled in the mid section and bass extends deeper. On my MDR-CD870, it opened up the soundstage and increased dynamics... didnt really alter the tonal character that much.

Im building up skill so I can do my DT770
I didnt use techflex.

Garrett

May 25, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm also wondering this but more towards what cables people used in DIY. Such as, Canare Starquad Mini, Mogami 2534, or anything else that was used. Wondering what cable sounds the best overall??

As far as aftermarket cables that you can send your phones in and have it done I can only think of two places: Headphile.com and Headphone.com Headphile has a dual entry which you stated you did not want but I think it is quite a bit cheaper. Headphone.com does the Cardas replacement and that is single sided but will set you back $200 for 10ft.

I know there have been a few people to recable their dt880's by DIY so maybe you can find the threads then PM those people to see if they're willing to do your's. I have no idea if they would or not but it's worth a shot.

May 25, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 10
I love my headphile recable on my DT770s. Of course, I got woodied at the same time, so who knows if the cable made a difference
wink.gif

May 25, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I wonder the the Canare StarQuad is too thick and inflexible. I also don't have much experience trying to do the work myself.

I'm also interested in impressions on the differences these cables will produce for the DT 880's as synergy is pretty important. I currently have a Canare SQ, litz braided silver plated copper, and pure silver braid, mini-mini cables and each will give a different shade when used with my system...where I will appreciate the warmth and fuller sound of the copper with my AKG, clarity and surprising texture of the silver braid with my E3c, and the lightness and airiness of the silver plate on my MS-2i.

I guess I should just try these cables in the chain with my DT 880s to find out what it favors. Cardas from what I remeber is darker and rich, this may actually have good synergy with the DT 880 which has been acknowledged to have a tilt towards a bright presentation. Duncan was supposed to do a review of the differences between the stock and Cardas, I wish he can post his impressions already.

People with the HD650 have also really liked the Equinox cables...I wonder if they'll recable DT 880s?

May 26, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 10
Re-cabling sounds like fun, but maybe you should wait for the warranty period or at least the store return period to end (especially if the person who does the re-cabling dosen't offer a warranty on the work). Also, they may need to be burned in more, and you may still be getting used to the sound.

May 26, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Fox
Re-cabling sounds like fun, but maybe you should wait for the warranty period or at least the store return period to end (especially if the person who does the re-cabling dosen't offer a warranty on the work). Also, they may need to be burned in more, and you may still be getting used to the sound.

Good point...

IMHO star quad is heavy, bulky and rather stiff... But thats the price you pay I guess

May 26, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Good point...

IMHO star quad is heavy, bulky and rather stiff... But thats the price you pay I guess

You can buy mini-starquad. I havn't used it so I don't know how much smaller it is but I'm guessing it would be alot better to use then the normal size.

May 26, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #9 of 10
Oski...

I'll be able to be able to answer at least one of your questions on the weekend...

Fingers crossed i'll get my comparison - out, by Sunday - Monday latest
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
I just got my DT 880s 2 weeks ago and really like them! Now I'm considering selling one of my full sized cans to finance the recabling of the DT 880. Please let me know what cable options are currently available (I would really prefer the side entry like it is now...having a cable right in front of me tends to get in the way). Also if anyone has done direct comparisons between different cables on the DT 880, I'd really appreciate your impressions of differences. Thanks!

Please could you name what leaves you unfulfilled with the 'standard' DT880 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back