DT-880 or HD-650? Help me decide!
May 24, 2005 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

gorman

1000+ Head-Fier
Thread title says it all, really.

On Hifinesse-shop.de I can get Senns for Euro 289 and Beyers for Euro 195. With almost 100 Euros in price difference... is it justified?

Would I really be settling for less with 880 or it's just a matter of sound signature and Senns being more famous?

I'm more for neutral sound, but I don't want dry sound. So if DT-880 are bass dry I'd like to know it.

All opinions are welcome, those of people owning or having heard both are most welcome.

Edit: I'm interested in soundstage and comfort as well.

Edit again: I've managed to find Senns for Euro 235, making them more similar in price to Beyers...

May 24, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 47
It's a tough call between these two. I certainly don't think one is significantly or objectively that much better than the other.

I found the Beyers to have a wider soundstage than the 650s and I found them to be slightly more comfortable.

Unfortunately, I never A/Bed the 650s and 880s extensively, though I have heard both. The 650s are warmer, I think -- thicker. Both cans are pretty well balanced, but I like the highs of the 880s better. The 650s have more bass impact, but overall bass qualtiy I found to be similar.

May 24, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 47
IMO,880's sound is boring for me.But 650s are just so surprised me,the sound makes me unforgettable.Not only I feel in this way,but also my roommate feels tha same.

But I still have to say 880 is really a good phone,I just don't like 880s' style.

May 24, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 47
May 24, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Z
How does 225 or 226 Euro plus shipping for the Sennheiser 650 sound?

It sounds good but... I'd like to know how the two sets of cans sound with music, too!
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 47
Your own likes and dislikes in a headphone should dictate your choice.

The 650s have a full sound signature with a nice, rich sound. The highs are present, but not particularly rich. The 880s have a full, well defined sound signature that also gives you rich (but not sibilant) highs.

I've noticed that the 650s appear on the For Sale boards fairly regularly. The 880s appear only rarely. That may not mean anything scientifically, because both are outstanding phones, but I can understand why listeners won't want to part with their 880s -- they're delightful.

I've had extensive listening experience with the 880s, so I'll restrict my musical comments to these. The DT880s excel with rock, giving a breadth and grandeur to the sound. Classical sounds best with a full orchestra, since the phones handle the sound colors well, though chamber groups can sound less interesting. I'm very pleased with how it sounds with vintage rock and pop, while well-produced modern pop simply sings. Although the 880s have adequate volume, they profit (as do all good headphones) by pairing with a headphone amp.

May 24, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 47
To my ear the Beyers have greater immediacy, a brighter sound and a wider soundstage. The Senns are darker, warmer, with more bass presence and a somewhat detached presentation. Both excel with orchestral/choral music. Amplification makes a difference. The DT880 can sound a bit dry with some solid state equipment. The Beyers are more comfortable for me, but opinions differ.

BW

May 24, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 47
I prefer the DT 880 over the HD 650 !

Best!
Nicola

May 24, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 47
To my ear everything else was in good shape with DT880 except the bass. They totally lacked bass imo. Best in DT880 was amazing resolution and details.

HD650 does everything good but loses with a very very small marginal to DT880 in details and resolution. But with 650 you won't be missing bass.

May 24, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 47
I cannot understand this "legend" about lack in bass of the DT 880...

Best!
Nicola

May 24, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I cannot understand this "legend" about lack in bass of the DT 880...

Best!
Nicola

Yeah, well maybe it isn't legend. Though my test run was pretty short but still I know what I heard.
plainface.gif

May 24, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Yeah, well maybe it isn't legend. Though my test run was pretty short but still I know what I heard.
plainface.gif

I have compared the dT 880 with my Qualia in my setup and I like A LOT the bass of the DT 880, I prefer them even to the HD 650 or to the Grado RS-1. The DT 880 need a muscle amp to give their best...

Best!
Nicola

May 24, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I have compared the dT 880 with my Qualia in my setup and I like A LOT the bass of the DT 880, I prefer them even to the HD 650 or to the Grado RS-1. The DT 880 need a muscle amp to give their best...

Best!
Nicola

i agree. the bass is very present on my DT880's, and they sound absolutely gorgeous plugged into my tube amp. but keep in mind that i have the upgraded Cardas cable version of the DT880, which is different from stock.

compared with my HD650 stock/Zu, i would say i prefer the DT880 more. the Beyers are just so smooth, rich, and textured; something that the Senns just lack sometimes. but i have to admit that the bass representation of the HD650 are better than the DT880, and occasionally i use them to groove to modern pop, orchestral, etc..

both are very good headphones, but its really hard to say which one is the best. both have their strengths and weaknesses, and i think it just really depends on your own personal preference. i would recommend you to give these headphones a listen yourself and decide which one suites you best.

May 24, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
The DT 880 need a muscle amp to give their best...

Best!
Nicola

Well the source could've been better. I really should give them a better try before I can give any further comments. Maybe I pick them up for home test and make a detailed comparison between 650 and 880. If I'd just receive my amp and headphones before winter.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back