DT 880 or HD 600 or SRS-2170 System (~$1000)
Jan 28, 2011 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ktsai1283

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, everyone!

I'm looking to purchase a new full-sized circumaural headphone with amplifier for around $1000 USD.  It will have to be a great all-rounder because I listen to many genres of music and because I hope to keep it for the next several years.

To give you an idea of my preferences, my favorite full-size headphone that I previously owned was the K 702, but I felt that it was piercing in the treble region at higher volumes and its soundstage seemed unnecessarily wide on some songs.

Potential purchases are the beyerdynamic DT 880 (600 ohm) or the Sennheiser HD 600 paired with an amplifier like the Corda Concerto.  My question is, should I go with one of those two pairings or should I switch it up and go for the STAX SRS-2170 for about $300 less (I'd rather go below than above $1000)?  I've never heard an electrostat, but I've heard great things about their sound delivery and would be willing to try (at least a decent) one.

I listen to a variety of music; examples include RHCP, Sufjan Stevens, Kanye West, Cee Lo Green, The National, NIN, Arcade Fire, Alison Krauss, Ben Folds, Imogen Heap, The Shins, Wilco, Sarah Brightman, The Be Good Tanyas, SOAD, and a bunch of different classical and jazz recordings on 320 Kbps MP3 and FLAC--basically, almost everything.

Any recommendations outside of those I already mentioned are welcome.

My source is a Lenovo ThinkPad SL410 (Realtek HD Audio) using foobar2000 & WASAPI--not the best, but when I plug in my Yuin PK3 into the headphone out, I hear no noise (even at max volume).

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back