DT 880 or DT 990 with Corda Aria? Confused...
Mar 21, 2006 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

minktoast

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Posts
101
Likes
10
OK I'm about to take the plunge on an Aria. I'm gonna buy some cans too...

I've read loads of posts about how the 990's are more 'coloured' than the 880's and have a larger bass and are more 'foot tapping' whilst the 880's are more accurate. I would like to go with 990's for the fun sound (I already have Senn 595's for relatively un-coloured sound).

However... I'm confused by the versions and prices (I'm in Ireland so will buy from UK or Meier).

I've found a UK site selling 990's for £99 inc VAT (these are 990's NOT Pro's). On the same site the 880's are £170. Thus the 990's are £70 cheaper and much cheaper than Jan at Meier audio can do even with an amp. purchase. Jan's 990 price is more than the 880 price - the opposite of this UK site. Jan's 880 price is less than the UK site (about £135 with an amp. order).

Am I missing something here? Are the 880's actually the top of the line or is it the 990's? Are there old models of the 990 that the UK supplier might be selling? Below is the image of the 990 on the UK site (£99):

Beyerdynamic.DT990.2906.jpg


Here is the image on the 990 Meier audio site (£180 with amp. order):

f71874abe2.jpg


Why are they different? Is one the 2005 model and one the 2006?

What would you buy? Your thoughts much appreciated!

(I listen to everything from electronica, through rock, acoustic folk / guitar to some classical.)
 
Mar 21, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 21

minktoast

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Posts
101
Likes
10
Just to clarify - I know the picture of the 990 above from the UK site looks like a 990 PRO - but they're selling the 990 PRO for £95 and it has the picture below with the pigtail cable:

Beyerdynamic.DT990.PRO.1917.jpg


Your help in clarification much appreciated!
 
Mar 21, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 21

EvilDwarf

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Posts
406
Likes
11
The DT 880 are way above the DT 990 regarding accurate musical reproduction. In your case, I'd go with the DT 880, if you want really high quality cans for an excellent price. The previous model is said to be identical or at least almost identical to the 2005 model. The HD 595 are enough fun in my opinion, so I don't see any need for another fun set. Anyhow, I'd rather get some Grado cans instead. The decision however eventually depends on the type of music, you're listening to.
 
Mar 21, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 21

mattg3

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 4, 2005
Posts
631
Likes
53
I have the dt990.Need a good 100 hour burn in but for me the sound is amazing.Way better than hd555 or the sr60 that sold before buying dt990.You also need an amp.My PA2V2 works great with this phone out of my creative zen mp3 player
 
Mar 21, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 21

sgrossklass

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 3, 2004
Posts
2,803
Likes
19
What you'd pay for the DT880 isn't that much less than what they're asking for a HD650, keep that in mind... It's a different animal, of course.
 
Mar 21, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 21

StevieDvd

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Posts
1,742
Likes
89
Based on reading here and elsewhere I'd say the DT880 was a more popular headphone and the DT990 more studio orientated. Team DT880 seems to have more members unless I'm mistaken.

So even last year the UK price of the DT990 (or DT990pro) was good (makes a change that) - better than the US prices if I recall correctly.

Now with the new 2005 models a UK retailer would probably sell DT880s a little easier than the DT990s so the price for clearing the older models reflects that.

Apart from a small price difference between the DT990/DT990pro one was said to be better if you have a bigger/smaller head.
 
Mar 21, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 21

minktoast

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Posts
101
Likes
10
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Looking around a bit more it seems that the 990 picture from the UK supplier above is the 2003 version and that Meier's is the new version.

There certainly seems to be some debate between 880 'accurate reproduction' lovers and 990 'fun' lovers. As Jan does the 880's for €200 (£135) with an amp purchase I'm starting to lean towards the 880's. At that price I could always sell them if they're not much different to the 595's... now if only there was a good shop where I could audition within 200 miles!

My big worry initially was about bass (I wanted more than the 595's) and I was attracted to reports of more bass with 990. But I think I'm starting to realise that bass with headphones is such a different experience to bass with speakers (i.e. you can't feel it) that I just need to get used to the different sound. A good amp. will help as well no doubt (at the moment I'm just using my integrated amp. out). When I want my guts shaken I'll turn on the speakers!

So it looks like it'll be 880's unless anyone has other ideas....
 
Mar 21, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 21

arielext

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Posts
1,791
Likes
1,024
Location
the Netherlands
I bought both the DT880 (march 2006) and DT990 (january 2006) model 2003 from Jan.
The DT880 was €175 and the DT990 €150. While both are surely worth the money the DT880 is in a different league. If I switch to the DT990 after listening to the DT880 for a while the DT990 sounds like a misguided "loudness" feature. Yes the bass-slam is there but don't forget the out of place highs and recessed mids.
Without a day of DT880 those same DT990's sound heavenly, it's partly the ears and human hearing that do the trick.
The DT880 surely needs more burning in and both cans are great, but imho the DT880 is a bit greater
wink.gif

Always fun to switch between the jubilees and the DT880; the DT880's are less clamping, have a bit more mids and less bass feeling but have a bigger soundstage. Which of those 2 is better? it's a mood thing for me
600smile.gif
880smile.png


oh yeah, all tested with the corda aria.
 
Mar 21, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 21

minktoast

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Posts
101
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext
I bought both the DT880 (march 2006) and DT990 (january 2006) model 2003 from Jan.
The DT880 was €175 and the DT990 €150. While both are surely worth the money the DT880 is in a different league. If I switch to the DT990 after listening to the DT880 for a while the DT990 sounds like a misguided "loudness" feature. Yes the bass-slam is there but don't forget the out of place highs and recessed mids.
Without a day of DT880 those same DT990's sound heavenly, it's partly the ears and human hearing that do the trick.
The DT880 surely needs more burning in and both cans are great, but imho the DT880 is a bit greater
wink.gif

Always fun to switch between the jubilees and the DT880; the DT880's are less clamping, have a bit more mids and less bass feeling but have a bigger soundstage. Which of those 2 is better? it's a mood thing for me
600smile.gif
880smile.png


oh yeah, all tested with the corda aria.




Excellent - thanks arielext - exactly what I wanted to find out. Thank goodness for dedicated Head-Fier's trying everything out! Just out of interest, what are the main types of music you listen to? Thanks again!
 
Mar 21, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #12 of 21

Cyrilix

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 31, 2005
Posts
715
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by minktoast
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Looking around a bit more it seems that the 990 picture from the UK supplier above is the 2003 version and that Meier's is the new version.

There certainly seems to be some debate between 880 'accurate reproduction' lovers and 990 'fun' lovers. As Jan does the 880's for €200 (£135) with an amp purchase I'm starting to lean towards the 880's. At that price I could always sell them if they're not much different to the 595's... now if only there was a good shop where I could audition within 200 miles!

My big worry initially was about bass (I wanted more than the 595's) and I was attracted to reports of more bass with 990. But I think I'm starting to realise that bass with headphones is such a different experience to bass with speakers (i.e. you can't feel it) that I just need to get used to the different sound. A good amp. will help as well no doubt (at the moment I'm just using my integrated amp. out). When I want my guts shaken I'll turn on the speakers!

So it looks like it'll be 880's unless anyone has other ideas....



With the DT880s, come a whole new meaning of deep bass. I used to think that my music was very bassy and low -- after hearing the DT880s and knowing what low actually is, I feel safe enough saying 98% of my tracks have no deep bass at all.
 
Mar 22, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #13 of 21

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2003
Posts
9,559
Likes
31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
With the DT880s, come a whole new meaning of deep bass. I used to think that my music was very bassy and low -- after hearing the DT880s and knowing what low actually is, I feel safe enough saying 98% of my tracks have no deep bass at all.


Ditto... I echo exactly what you just said. Most of the music I own has no extreme lows to speak of. When it's there, it's audible with the DT880!
 
Mar 22, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 21

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Posts
254
Likes
14
Aww man, after reading these posts I can't wait to get my 880's!! I wish Sam Ash would hurry up!
 
Mar 22, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #15 of 21

glac1er

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Posts
990
Likes
14
I have both the DT990 pro and the old DT880.
Although I agree that DT880 is in a different league with more detail and better vocals, I do seem to reach for the DT990 a bit more
smily_headphones1.gif
. It sounds too fun to be ignored.

I enjoyed both headphones equally and won't say that one is better than the other. If you listen to a lot of rock, the DT990 should be seriously considered.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top