dt-770's on amazon for cheap
Oct 25, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 23
Right, if you follow the thread, you'll see that the price has come down to $113 and change, and that some have taken advantage of the "bill me later" discount, etc.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 23
Are they coming out with a new model or something? Why is this so cheap?

I was in the market at 199, but this is a steal!

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by turboflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really thinking about buying one. Do they absolutely require an amp to be usable? I'd be running them off the onboard (ALC888) sound on my computer and maybe my sansa clip.

It'll sound pretty bad IMO... sounds decent out of a modded xtrememusic but onboard sounds pretty muffled to me.

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by aZn_plyR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'll sound pretty bad IMO... sounds decent out of a modded xtrememusic but onboard sounds pretty muffled to me.

Yeah, onboard isn't the ideal source but I can always upgrade that later. It does sound quite a bit better than the soundblaster live in my old computer though.

My main concern is the 250 ohm rating. I don't have the money to upgrade everything at once so I would at least need the headphones to be driven to decent volumes with what I have.

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayman2k2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was in the market at 199, but this is a steal!

You got that right!
wink_face.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by turboflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, onboard isn't the ideal source but I can always upgrade that later. It does sound quite a bit better than the soundblaster live in my old computer though.

My main concern is the 250 ohm rating. I don't have the money to upgrade everything at once so I would at least need the headphones to be driven to decent volumes with what I have.

The only way you'll know id to try them. At the price it's not much of a risk. And if you find you can live with them now, then, down the road when the budget permits picking up an inexpensive amp like a Headroom Total Airhead or Bithead will make you enjoy them even more.
L3000.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 23
You guys in the US get way better deals on European products than us Europeans!

Bit of a thread-jack but could someone comment on the following please?

Is this a 2003 or 2005 DT880? Is it a good price anyway? Obviously not compared to a US price :p

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Edition Hifi Headphone: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

The Pro is cheaper. Does Beyer set a lower RRP for it, and so the non-pro is the flagship, or is it just that more people prefer the non-pro?

Amazon.co.uk: Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO Headset: Electronics & Photo

TIA.

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 23
anoobis,

And now you know why I emigrated to the US from Canada. I came here to shop until I drop. I tried shopping in France, England, and Belguim, but everything was just too expenseive. Pity, I really liked France, England, and Belguim.

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 23
Oct 26, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 23
Yeah, the DT770 really needs an amp. Straight out of my Zune it sounds thin unless I go to max volume, and then there is no headroom left. I listened to them a bit with my Corda HeadFive and didn't think they mated too well with that either. I was somewhat disappointed, but will do some more listening before making a final judgment. They actually sound amazing through the headphone jack of an old Technics receiver (SAGX650 from the early 90s) I have my PC hooked up through. I listen to WMA lossless using Winamp and the Kernel Streaming output plugin (gapless works better with that than the ASIO plugin on my machine) with the line outs from my soundcard. You'd be amazed at how good this sounds. I'd might be looking to sell my Headfive as it doesn't drive the 501s all that well either. Just have to wait and see. But the DT770 does need an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back