DT 770 vs 880
Oct 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Miskari

Head-Fier
Hi guys, been lurking for a while now and all i can say is that this place has helped me a lot. I've been looking around for full size cans to upgrade to from my ATH CK7s and had had it narrowed it down to DT880, D1001, and D2000 but then this amazon sale came up and its taken the Denons off my list.

I just wanted to know if there is a big difference between the 770 and 880, i know that the 770s are closed and the 880s are semi-open but other than that i dont know if its worth putting down the extra $60 for the 880s. I listen to a mix of music genres and like a nice bass and love a lot of the guitar tunes.

Lastly, i just wanted to know how the shipping is with Amazon because Im in Canada and anything i buy will be shipped here.

heres the link for amazon: Amazon.com: beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphones: Electronics

Also how portable are these cans?
Thanks in advance

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to HeadFi, Miskari!

I have the DT880 so I'll limit my comment to this phone. The DT880 needs a powerful amp and it wasn't until I last week when I got the AV123 X-Head amp that I could fully appreciate this wonderful phone. Now that I do, the DT800 is my October FOTM. Because it needs a powerful amp, it's a poor choice for a portable phone.

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 7
another thing, according to this guy, Amazon won't ship Beyers to Canada.

If this is the case, you'll have to reconsider your choices.

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another thing, according to this guy, Amazon won't ship Beyers to Canada.

If this is the case, you'll have to reconsider your choices.

oh wow thats a bummer, now im lost again. are there any dealers in Canada? or even some good alternatives to the 880?

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Will you be using an amp?

Just about any headphones can be toted around and thus made portable. What are your specific needs for portability? Do you want sound to not leak out? Do you want external noises blocked out?

What's your budget for new headphones?

If possibly buying an amp, what's your budget for headphones and a portable amp?

Oct 18, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will you be using an amp?

Just about any headphones can be toted around and thus made portable. What are your specific needs for portability? Do you want sound to not leak out? Do you want external noises blocked out?

What's your budget for new headphones?

If possibly buying an amp, what's your budget for headphones and a portable amp?

id prefer to not have any sound leak out and some noise blockage would be nice but no very necessary, as regards to portability i wont be using it with and ipod or anything just with the laptop (lenovo y510). trying to keep it under $200

Oct 18, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miskari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
id prefer to not have any sound leak out and some noise blockage would be nice but no very necessary, as regards to portability i wont be using it with and ipod or anything just with the laptop (lenovo y510). trying to keep it under $200

I suggest the Ultrasone HFI-780. Be sure to buy from Northern Sound and Light; ask them for their special pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back